Value of FGMC's

I was curious if anyone has an answer as to why the value of the Monte's are not going up like all the other "older" not even classic cars.  I am seeing undesirable POS's from the late 70's and early 80's skyrocketing while you can still find a decent FGMC w/BB and low miles for under $20K.  I don't get it?  These are great cars and I have been a proud owner of my Monte for 27 years.  Granted I did buy it for $3000 and im not complaining of its current value just curious why they are not taking off like others.  Thoughts?

The people that grew up with late 70s/early 80s cars are now grown up with a little cash to spend and trying to relive those memories which is driving the values of those cars up. I know I'd pay good dollar for a 1976 2-door Cutlass S in nice condition if I came across it since it was the car I grew up with. It was heavy, not a ton of power and not great on gas but has a lot of great memories attached to it. The late 80s stuff will see a surge next (Grand Nationals, Supras, Skylines, etc). The first gen Montes are part of that late 60s/early 70s Muscle car era but seemed to get recognition a little too late to the game to keep up with that market. The first gen Montes are increasing in value but it is slow going. There was a bit of a surge for the SS and 4-speed cars about 4 or 5 years ago and those cars are still seeing some decent values but far from similarly optioned Chevelles. I do think our club has helped get the word out about these cars over the years. It seemed like before the internet really got going these Montes were seen as Chevelle parts cars in many cases. I know from doing first gen Monte Meets for the past 17 years that people would come up to me and comment they forgot how nice these cars were and would now consider buying a Monte as a lower cost alternative to a Chevelle. Part of me enjoys the fact that these cars are affordable. I can own my 71 SS454 and 70 Montes for less than the cost of an SS454 Chevelle.

I remember years ago, probably in the 'early '80s,  some old timer (that's me now...) , said "those cars are going to be the next '55 Chevy" in terms of popularity and value.  Never forgot that statement, hoping it was somehow going to come true. Guess it's good for us in the long run though, fairly affordable & not everyone has them like Chevelles and Camaros.

I don't think the Monte's ever took off even with the SS 454's. Just never really considered a performance car to compete with the Vette's, Camaro', moustangs and such. The big Mopars were HiPo and cheap and more easily accessible to the masses. As Aaron said, the Monte's don't get a lot of fan fair and until people see one they forget they exist. There were actually 2 other first gen's at the last car show I took mine to, outta 700 show cars that isn't a big footprint. 

There is so much truth to everything everyone is saying.  I will agree that most people dont remember or know what a Monte is because you right its not a blue Camaro or red Chevelle but once they see it I get asked a lot of questions.  I do have to say 2 years ago at a show with 550 cars I was awarded the Military Peoples Choice award.  They called my name and I just said wow there is a guy with the same name here.  Then they said Monte Carlo... I figured it was a joke but it wasn't.  Pretty cool to get the Monte on the map esp at a show with 550 cars.

IMG_0469.jpg

34 minutes ago, DragCat said:

There were actually 2 other first gen's at the last car show I took mine to, outta 700 show cars that isn't a big footprint. 

Wait till they see our footprint in Carlisle in June at the Eastern Meet/Chevrolet Nationals.  Our club alone already have well over 60 First Gens coming and I have been promoting with other Monte Carlo Clubs and groups so our beloved Monte's should make a "BIG FOOTprint" this coming June.

rob

• Like 6

In $$$ terms they are getting expensive. No an SS 454 might not be worth  75K but 40-50k is a lot $, more than I have.

I got 26 out of a bench seat 350 car a few months ago. 35k miles.  If that same car was an SS 454 we would have been talking way way more $. 

I’ve shown my 71 monte at car shows in ky. for the past 4 years.. most people walk by and say “ wow, I used to have one of those”! ... wish I still had it... they are gaining popularity in this area and a lot due to this car... one guy went and found a 70 402 automatic after I started showing my 71 and winning.. another close friend drove to Mo just two weeks ago and bought a 71 SS  he found on eBay... , ..I show the car for the fun and the circulation of the first gen... the more people see it, the more they want one... then they find exactly how difficult to find and the rairity. Of first gen Monties.. their starting to say, I see chevelles everywhere!  I want a Monte Carlo!

Keep showing off you car,, they are a beautiful breed! ....Ron...

• Like 1