Greetings all, I grew up with being around cars because my dad owned a autobody repair and towing service shop. I graduated HS in 69 got married and joined the Marines retired in 1998 as a Master Gunnery Sgt. Aug 2019 was our 50th. Bought this 70 Monte 454 SS from my sons inlaws after father passed. I was going to help him restore, his son gave up on it. Monte is all original numbers matching only rust was at rear window lower left corner. Has been in storage since 1998. I am the 4th owner to title it, there were 2 others which were dealers. I met with 2nd owner which had a new dual exhaust system installed. I am going to start a frame off restoration this summer. I will take pictures and post as I go for all to see.

Welcome aboard Marine, and thank you for your service. Looking forward to watching your progress and pictures. Theres a ton of knowledgeable folks here to help you along 

Thank you, I have been reading a lot of info on this club which has pointed out how to verify and locate needed information. Deems the previous owner located the build sheet which confirmed this is a true SS 454.

Welcome to the club! Looking forward to watching the progress..

Welcome to our madness!!! Lolol look forward to seeing pictures. 

Everyone, Thank you for your warm welcome, I did not expect. I look forward to attending gatherings and shows, plus meeting fellow members.

Welcome! Yes, we love pictures!

Welcome to the club and forums, Joe! 

You are fortunate to be starting with a documented '70 SS454!  There is something unique, almost mystical, about owning and driving a first gen SS.  Yes, the big 454 is part of it but the SS badging and genetics give them membership in a Chevy performance family that is broadly recognized and appreciated.  I enjoyed every minute of the eight years I owned, drove, showed and improved my '70 SS.  Hope you  find the information on this site helpful and have a great time restoring her to glory.

Hello Dennis,

Thank you, I have found this club and information very great. I saw that you winter in Punta Gorda Fl. Dotti and I are in Punta Gorda visiting grandkids since before Christmas. Small world. We will be going back to Memphis Tn on the 26th. My number is 901 489-8812 if you would like to get together and talk about Monte ss

If I dont answer right away leave message and I will call you back.

Thank you

Joe

5 hours ago, MGySgt69 said:

Hello Dennis,

Thank you, I have found this club and information very great. I saw that you winter in Punta Gorda Fl. Dotti and I are in Punta Gorda visiting grandkids since before Christmas. Small world. We will be going back to Memphis Tn on the 26th. My number is 901 489-8812 if you would like to get together and talk about Monte ss

If I dont answer right away leave message and I will call you back.

Thank you

Joe

That's quite a coincidence, Joe!  Actually, Punta Gorda is my permanent home but I "summer" in North Central Minnesota each year (too hot and humid in SW FL).

Yes, we must try to get together.  At the moment, I am dealing with a nasty cold but will hopefully be over it soon, certainly before you leave on the 26th.  Have you visited the Muscle Car City museum yet?  If not, maybe we can meet there one day soon. Their monthly car show is this Saturday, the 18th. They also have a nice little breakfast/lunch place there called Stingrays.  I will give you a call soon to see what we can set up.  You can also call or text me on (316) 253-4346.  Thanks.  

Looking forward to meeting you!

7 hours ago, MCfan said:

That's quite a coincidence, Joe!  Actually, Punta Gorda is my permanent home but I "summer" in North Central Minnesota each year (too hot and humid in SW FL).

Yes, we must try to get together.  At the moment, I am dealing with a nasty cold but will hopefully be over it soon, certainly before you leave on the 26th.  Have you visited the Muscle Car City museum yet?  If not, maybe we can meet there one day soon. Their monthly car show is this Saturday, the 18th. They also have a nice little breakfast/lunch place there called Stingrays.  I will give you a call soon to see what we can set up.  You can also call or text me on (316) 253-4346.  Thanks.  

Looking forward to meeting you!

Have not been to museum yet, I just over being sick also. Sat the 18th. I will send text

5 hours ago, 420ponies said:

Semper Fi , and welcome to the club!! BBC SS Monte Carlo. can't get any better then that.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

Semper Fi, I was lucky to get it.

Hi Rick, I am going to document every step not only written but many pictures so that future club members will have some history. This is very original monte. I met with Dennis Bengtson this past saturday to discuss his monte 454 ss. He was very helpful regarding items I needed answers too such as inner front fender wheel wells. Thanks Rick

Hey, Joe, it was good to meet you and your son John last Saturday at Muscle Car City.  I had no idea there was a '70 SS in storage right here in Punta Gorda, but I'm glad you now own it and can apply your years of car restoration knowledge and experience in bring it back to life. 

I confirmed that the reason the car show at Muscle Car City was relatively small that day was the overlap with the much larger annual Peace River Show over in Port Charlotte. 

Good luck getting your SS back to TN and restoring it from the ground up!  Do keep us updated on your progress with news and photos.  Thanks.

Hey Dennis, I was surprised that you knew my son, but he does get around with habitat. I met with owner Rick of Muscle Car Museum we discussed him owning the Monte 454 SS that I now own. Rick filled me in on more details, such as he sold as soon as he received a dealer Greg Howard which is the person who sold to Deems my sons father-inlaw. The reason no one knew about was it has been hidden away since 1998 plus he did not belong to any car clubs when he did drive it. 21 years in a garage that was always closed and only the family knew it existed. I will be covering it for the trip back to TN so I do not have to answer do you want to sell.

I look forward to meeting you again and to take it to club shows.

Thank you

Joe