70 Monte Roof Seams

MGySgt69

If it had a vinyl top chances are  no lead. Mine had a kind of seam sealer on when we redid the paint. The seam sealer was removed and filled with Drua-glass am

nd then body filler.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen some nice paint jobs that they left the lead in place and it will make the paint bubble in a few years.   The problem with Lead it is you can have corrosion underneath it that you will never see.

Take the extra time to get rid of all the lead and make sure there is no corrosion hiding underneath.  Most of the vinyl top cars didn't have solid lead seems, little in each corner..  they had some seam sealer most of the seam and that's even worse to think of leaving it in.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:44 AM, MGySgt69 said:

Hi Jared, Thank you. I wanted to verify what was used in the seams. I want to restore this Monte as close to how it came from the factory as possible.

Ok yes definitely get rid of the old.

Also make sure the process of making sure this modern paint doesn't react adversely to it 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:26 PM, Jared Richey said:

I've seen some nice paint jobs that they left the lead in place and it will make the paint bubble in a few years.   The problem with Lead it is you can have corrosion underneath it that you will never see.

Take the extra time to get rid of all the lead and make sure there is no corrosion hiding underneath.  Most of the vinyl top cars didn't have solid lead seems, little in each corner..  they had some seam sealer most of the seam and that's even worse to think of leaving it in.

yep... many new fillers and primers will react with lead over time.

I intend to have body completely sand blasted. I will be removing all seam sealers plus all lead if there is any before having body sand blasted. Lead was still used in the 60s and 70s I want to make sure I use all the correct material that was used on this Monte.

Thank you