First classic, first Monte

Hi,

Just got around to joining this forum.

I got myself a '72 Monte just before Christmas - a 350 with a 4 speed muncie. Plan on making it a bit of a retro mod - upgrading the steering over the next couple of weeks.

I'm in Austin TX, but originally from the UK.

00101_hTGRVjTufpg_1200x900.jpg

Welcome to the club and forums, Gareth!!  That's a beautiful '72 and one of very few with a 4-speed I have heard of.  I lived in Austin from '88 to '97 but it's a much larger and crazier town now. Have fun with that beauty and don't be a stranger to the forums.

5 hours ago, gareth001 said:

Hi,

Just got around to joining this forum.

I got myself a '72 Monte just before Christmas - a 350 with a 4 speed muncie. Plan on making it a bit of a retro mod - upgrading the steering over the next couple of weeks.

I'm in Austin TX, but originally from the UK.

00101_hTGRVjTufpg_1200x900.jpg

Gareth, Welcome to the FGMCC website.  We hope you like what you see here and decide  to become a a full fledged dues paying member of the club.  You say it is a 350 4-Speed Muncie, I take it that the 4-speed was added at a later date.  If you have any documentation that it is a factory installed 4-speed we would love to see that documentation because according to our club database we don't have any documentation of 4-speeds being available in 72.  Look here at our "Resources" area,,,,  https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/productionnumbers/  and you will see the 3-speed was available and that was more than likely a 3 on the tree, not a floor shift.

Please share more pictures of your car and Welcome again to the club website.

rob

Just an observation here.  You say you are from the United Kingdom and now living in Texas..... If you are in Texas long enough it would be interesting to hear what your new UK/Texas accent will sound like.

rob

On 1/17/2020 at 10:11 PM, Rob Peters said:

Gareth, Welcome to the FGMCC website.  We hope you like what you see here and decide  to become a a full fledged dues paying member of the club.  You say it is a 350 4-Speed Muncie, I take it that the 4-speed was added at a later date.  If you have any documentation that it is a factory installed 4-speed we would love to see that documentation because according to our club database we don't have any documentation of 4-speeds being available in 72.  Look here at our "Resources" area,,,,  https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/productionnumbers/  and you will see the 3-speed was available and that was more than likely a 3 on the tree, not a floor shift.

Please share more pictures of your car and Welcome again to the club website.

rob

I don't believe it's an original 4 speed '72 - from my decoding of the protect-o-plate (JA221) it comes back as a TH350 and was converted at some point to a 4 speed.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:23 AM, Rob Peters said:

Just an observation here.  You say you are from the United Kingdom and now living in Texas..... If you are in Texas long enough it would be interesting to hear what your new UK/Texas accent will sound like.

rob

Been here 5 years, my accent hasn't changed - only the use of different words.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! Beautiful car you have. You're right about it being converted to a 4 speed, since Chevrolet didn't put 4 speeds in any Montes in '72. 

Thanks for the pics.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...