Brake problems

John S

I’ve had brake problems for a while now. Brakes would not lock up under a hard stop. Since I’m now retired I decided to look into it and was wondering if anyone has knowledge about that distribution block below the master cylinder and how it works. I’m not talking about the brake hold off valve but the distribution block mounted to the frame. Is that supposed to have some type of small valve or a ball in it that will shift if a line breaks I tend to believe that that may be my problem got a new distribution block just want to make sure that it doesn’t shift on me again. If anyone has some knowledge on that I’d appreciate it thanks When you pull out the brake switch that screws into the block and you put compressed air to one or more of the outlets or inlets should something shift inside that you can see all I could see is something that looked like a small rod inside there.

John S

i wouldnt put air to it or try making it shuttle. they sometimes get stuck when that happens. replace it if in doubt. bleed the brakes and test. ifnyour pro lem continues try and isolate what is working like front or rear brake. you have a lot of variables and not enough information. 

24 minutes ago, imr said:

i wouldnt put air to it or try making it shuttle. they sometimes get stuck when that happens. replace it if in doubt. bleed the brakes and test. ifnyour pro lem continues try and isolate what is working like front or rear brake. you have a lot of variables and not enough information. 

I have a new block that’s why I threw air at the old one I Believe that part that shuttles back-and-forth is stuck being 50 years old and all and when a car sits for a long time brake fluid doesn’t hold up well. It appeared as though the front brakes were not working the way they should which makes me think something in that block. Anyway I have a new booster master cylinder, Hold off valve and distribution block I believe once it gets properly bled that should take care of the problem since there would be nothing left to replace or rebuild

John S

You state the front brakes dont work like you feel they should. I would also check the front rubber lines to the front calipers. Over time some tend to swell up inside and hamper the calipers from providing the correct pressure to stop properly. 

26 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

You state the front brakes work like you feel they should. I would also check the front rubber lines to the front calipers. Over time some tend to swell up inside and hamper the calipers from providing the correct pressure to stop properly. 

The only parts that I have not replaced is a distribution block a small one that is back by the rear axle and the rubber hose going to the brake lines on the rear axle otherwise it’s all new I’ll get it eventually just start eliminating some things. I did take a coat hanger and pushed the shuttle on the distribution block from both sides it did move felt spring loaded but didn’t move that smoothly I have a new distribution block I’m just going to replace it

the block on the rear has no valve. just make sure its not full of junk. front calipers are notorious for seizing ether where they slide or the piston bore. like tom said replacing the 3 rubber lines would prevent future doubt.