SS code on the cowl?  It's a Canadian built SS? The factory it was built in is part of all Monte carlo Vin numbers. Do you have a pic of the build sheet? 

The factory code is in the VIN (7th digit- 138571?). If it is a letter then it is a US built car. If it is a 1 then it was built in Canada.

If you have Z20 on the cowl tag that is fantastic. That was only on Canadian built cars and confirms it is an SS. Only 147 1971 SS454s were built in Canada :)

• 2 months later...

Are you really sure on the 7th digit. I just checked my 71 Monte insurance card. It has a B. I always thought it was a mistake and it was a 8. I don’t have the Monte with me right now but I think the vin number on the cowl is a 8 but the original title has a B. It was a plain Jane Monte Carlo.

And since your Monte was built in Baltimore, Carl, it probably has one or more Build Sheets tucked into the typical inconspicuous places.  Have you found one yet?

Welcome Brandon!

IF this is an original SS car and it has the original engine it was born with, the right side (passenger side) engine block has a pad stamped with letters and numbers, it sticks out where the front of the cylinder head is.

Post for us the three letter code. For a 1971 454, it should be CPD. It should also have the digits to match the last six of the VIN.

Your third photo, the engine, back up and take a photo that includes the left fender skirt. Let's see if the rear shock lift pump & tank is there.

The trim tag, riveted on the cowl under the hood near the VIN tag will tell the original body color(s), interior color and cloth or vinyl seats. Your first & second photos look like black interior, cloth seats and bench front seat.