Electric fuel pump

Montecarlo71

So I have a 71 mc with a 454. THe fuel pump push rod is stuck. Want to put a electric fuel pump and eliminate the mechanical one. How do i accomplish this? Fuel pump suggestions and install? Restore project in progress thank you in advance.

20200126_145045.jpg

Mount it low compared to the fuel tank, and back near the fuel tank.  Electric pumps push fuel, they don't like to pull it.  Run a relay to it with the trigger wire running off the IGN spade on the fuse box, and use 12 gauge wire for the power side of the relay.  If you use any other trigger make sure it's live during cranking as well as when the key is 'on'.  You may even want to run it through an oil pressure switch to make sure it stops if the engine ever stops, like during a rollover.  I would recommend finding some way to use rubber isolators or something similar when mounting the pump to reduce noise.

Make sure to run a regulator with a return line, that way the pump can't dead head and you won't have fluctuating pressure.  You want 7 psi.