Stuck fuel pump rod

Montecarlo71

So I have a 71 mc with a 454. THe fuel pump push rod is stuck. Want to put a electric fuel pump and eliminate the mechanical one. How do i accomplish this? Fuel pump suggestions and install? Or at least find a way to get the rod out . There are no bolts in front of the block holding it in place and I do not have a welder lol

20200201_125649.jpg

20200201_125706.jpg

On the block, under the fuel pump rod is a threaded "plug". Remove that so when you free up the pushrod it will pass through the block. 

Try spraying the rod with some penatrating fluid. In your pics, the bolts spoken about are not there. Spray the penatrating oil in those holes. Most likely that's how the rod rusted in the block in the first place and why that part of the engine has excessive oil on it. 

Then using a heat source, torch, propane torch, heat up the rod and block a few cycles. Try and loosen up the rod with long nose vise grips locked onto the rod. 

I'm not saying that's why. Just possibly/most likely why. 

Glad to hear she runs. That most likely means that the rod moved enough to let the cam turn. So it may not be as bad as thought. 😁

Once freed up, if in ok shape you could hold the rod against the cam and crank the engine. The rod should go in and out of the block to check the fuel pump rod lobe on the cam. 

when you turn the engine over does the rod go in an out. if not then either it is sort of in a neutral position and stuck or you have a worn cam lobe. with s tock fuel pump it would preload the rod to ride firmly against the fuel pump lobe. 

I know this isn't what you want to hear, it may be bent and you will have to go through the motor. I found the below link , try google search but I didn't see anything that was easy peasy 

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-engine/376004-454-ho-fuel-pump-push-rod-stuck.html