Ok, this club has a wealth  of knowledge about first generation MC,s... two questions I had from  someone that just purchased a 71, that I don’t have the experience to answer... 1. Were first gen Montes side or top post on the batteries, or both?..?  2. Did any first gen Montes come with a radiator overflow tank? ... thanks for your answers, .. you will enlighten me as well as a friend.. Ron T...

Both top post and side post depending on if it was the HD battery or not I believe.

No 70-72 Monte came with a radiator overflow tank. Just a hose that released excess coolant on the ground.

My 71 NO A/C Monte come with side terminal battery.

I remember (I think) 70 was still top mount battery then 71-72 had side mount battery.

No overflow on my 71.

Bruce

9 hours ago, stangeba said:

My 71 NO A/C Monte come with side terminal battery.

I remember (I think) 70 was still top mount battery then 71-72 had side mount battery.

No overflow on my 71.

Bruce

Thanks 👍🏻

Found some more info on the correct battery  in SS archives, from 2008 .. interesting .. by Capri’71 SS...00D633E4-5255-40C4-A9B9-0A2A9938CE70.thumb.png.685bb83872edc27230a3750992c10d2a.png

I'm certain the heavy duty battery for '70 was side post. It's on my build sheet. Pretty sure that the standard battery for '70 was top post. I can check some build sheet copies tonight. I haven't checked much on them after '70, but I'm thinking all were side post after '70. I don't have many '71 build sheets. 

All SS454s had heavy duty batteries. It was included in the package.

Dan

My car has a top post battery, and the window sticker shows a HD battery ordered. The build sheet shows a R79W battery and positive cable code NH and negative cable code PF. I can't seem to confirm that the codes are for top or side posts. I looked in the parts catalog at it only shows a side terminal cable but shows universal cable sizes up to 70. So I'm confused.

Paul, the R79W is the heavy duty side post battery. Same as mine. 

Dan

They must have changed mine out, the service manual shows top post. I will have to change mine out some day when the battery needs to be replaced.

R59 was the standard battery for '70, and it is a top post. 

R79W was the heavy duty for '70, and it is side post. 

The standard battery for '71 was R89, and the R89W was the HD battery. Both are side post. 

Dan 

Ok , got that question answered ,thanks.. now.. another one.. the hoses to the charcoal canister have clamps on them? Mine were removed.. don’t like newer style clamps even tho my car isn’t all original... 3 hoses —-clamps, glue or just fit tightly???

I just looked at a picture of my 71 and there are no clamps.

monte engine 2.jpg