Newbie looking for his unicorn

BYBIS

Hey all.  Just joined the group because I'm looking for my unicorn.  I'm looking for a 1970 Monte SS 454 in Tuxedo Black with buckets and power windows.  This is my "dream car" and, having just turned 50, it's time for me to find it.  I've sunk a lot of time and money into projects and I'm looking for something turnkey.  Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, my screen name is the initials of my company:  Before You Buy Inspection Services.  We are a full service inspection company for homes, commercial buildings, and, of course, automobiles.  If I can help any of my fellow ladies and gents with OCD (Old Car Disease).  please let me know.  

Thank you in advance for your help!  BTW, I'm in Texas.

T. J.

Welcome to the madness Tom, sounds like you have your checklist ready to go. If memory serves me correctly (i'm older than you lol ) someone here just found a triple black in canada, don't remember the year or if it was an SS. A turnkey may be a little more difficult, and pricey, and remember on these old cars parts don't last forever. One suggestion is to have your checklist items with whats negotiable for you, like color, power windows, and so on. Let the hunt begin 

• Like 1

Everyone-  Thank you for the warm welcome!  It's great to be a part of a group like this.  I appreciate your suggestions and will take them to heart.  I'm keeping things flexible as far as my wish list, but not so much so that I'll have to shell $10K to make it what I want.  The hunt is on!  

Take care,

T. J. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, BYBIS said:

Hey all.  Just joined the group because I'm looking for my unicorn.  I'm looking for a 1970 Monte SS 454 in Tuxedo Black with buckets and power windows.  This is my "dream car" and, having just turned 50, it's time for me to find it.  I've sunk a lot of time and money into projects and I'm looking for something turnkey.  Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, my screen name is the initials of my company:  Before You Buy Inspection Services.  We are a full service inspection company for homes, commercial buildings, and, of course, automobiles.  If I can help any of my fellow ladies and gents with OCD (Old Car Disease).  please let me know.  

Thank you in advance for your help!  BTW, I'm in Texas.

T. J.

Hey TJ, I know this isn't your "unicorn" but pretty darn close i'd say. I don't know the car but just saw it posted 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-SS-454-RARE-1-of-1-919-PW-PB-PS-100-HD-Pictures/193378010384?hash=item2d063a4510:g:2E4AAOSwwDdeaIcQ

Right off the bat, I see a few odd things, I'm sure you guys will see a lot more, lol.

Seat cover material, driver inside door panel has the provision for remote side mirror (but no remote mirror), why are all the HVAC and brake lines painted black under the hood, 454 sticker on valve cover (but that's nothing really, including the oil fill cap and grommet with no line going to it.), hood alignment is really pushed to the driver side, the biggest question mark...the vinyl roof at the trunk area?

Looks like it's pretty clean though

• Like 1

In addition to the things that jft69z stated I noticed.....

The horn is mounted in the wrong location/position.

The vinyl top is incorrect. Chevelle style.

No air ride compressor.

An SS Monte Carlos headlight, radio, and lighter controls should have the pic on them. 

No rear lower trim between blacked out panel and rear bumper. 

No pics of the under carriage.

In my opinion it is a 402 car with SS badges. 

Nice overall looking car but not at that price.

My opinion.....

• Like 1

DragCat- Thank you for the info.  I appreciate you keeping an eye out.  It's close, but not quite what I'm looking for.  It has to be a 70.  

JFT69Z and MC1of80-  You guys are the reason I joined the group.  Your knowledge of detail on these machines is ridiculous and, if you don't mind, when I do find my unicorn, I'd love your view on it from afar.  I'm a details guy but admittedly don't know as much about these as I'd like to.  Thanks to y'all, I'm learning quickly.  I truly do appreciate your input.  

Thank you to everyone for your help and welcome thus far.  Hopefully if I keep branching out, it'll come up soon.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 3/12/2020 at 1:59 PM, BYBIS said:

DragCat- Thank you for the info.  I appreciate you keeping an eye out.  It's close, but not quite what I'm looking for.  It has to be a 70.  

JFT69Z and MC1of80-  You guys are the reason I joined the group.  Your knowledge of detail on these machines is ridiculous and, if you don't mind, when I do find my unicorn, I'd love your view on it from afar.  I'm a details guy but admittedly don't know as much about these as I'd like to.  Thanks to y'all, I'm learning quickly.  I truly do appreciate your input.  

Thank you to everyone for your help and welcome thus far.  Hopefully if I keep branching out, it'll come up soon.

Hey TJ, not sure if your still looking but ran across this. Obviously not the original motor and no PW but its black and a 70 lol. I didn't go through all the pictures to critique the good and the bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-SS502-AUTO-MIRROR-PAINT-12-BOLT-COLD-AIR-BUCKETS/224052503771?hash=item342a91e4db:g:imYAAOSw7WBe7GbQ