Heater core removal tips

robbo

For the inside portion you will need to remove the dash pad which is fairly simple.  You will access some things from the top and some things from under the dash.  The positions you will need to get into are not at all comfortable.  If you have bucket seats you may even want to remove the passenger bucket seat to make things a little more comfortable working under the dash but it is not necessary.  I did my bench seat heater core replacement without removing the bench seat.  

From the engine compartment, having the Air Conditioning you will find it easier to change the heater core if you remove the inner fender well.

rob

No it comes out on the interior side.  You don't HAVE to remove the passenger inner fender, it just makes the job easirer.  It has been a number of years since I did mine but I remember realizing it would have been easier if I had removed the inner fender.  Also, NO, the evaporator does not need to be removed.

rob

thanks Rob. I did read that a 1" hole can be cut in the fender well to access the lower fastener to the heater with a socket wrench. It all makes sense now. Remove dash pad to access fasteners on the inside and remove those on the firewall engine side. Disconnect air ducts from heater box. Remove passenger kick panel and drop heater box. Easy peasy we shall soon see.

• 2 weeks later...

key is to work slowly and carefully..yes , getting under the dash may prove a bit challenging for those of us "of a certain age"---  this writer included...did mine in 2011 and wasn' t totally horrible, but am not lining up to do it again!!   you may want to search previous threads as well...i  always find tips and hints no matter what the task at hand!!

2 hours ago, Blake350 said:

key is to work slowly and carefully..yes , getting under the dash may prove a bit challenging for those of us "of a certain age"---  this writer included...did mine in 2011 and wasn' t totally horrible, but am not lining up to do it again!!   you may want to search previous threads as well...i  always find tips and hints no matter what the task at hand!!

Brian, Those of us who are ton-age impaired also find it hard to lay under the dash between the front seat and dash to do the job but it can be done.

rob

haha Rob,  thanks for reminding me!!  thats why I hope the core is a "one and done"  endeavor...  but if anyone needs help changing their air filter,  I'm more than happy to help !!!

• Haha 3

This is an article I wrote for my 71 NON-A/C heater core that MAY help you a bit. (Look out for the SNOWBALL.......)

Bruce

https://1971montecarlo.wordpress.com/2019/04/26/heater-core-replacement-on-a-1971-monte-carlo-no-a-c/

snowball hint no. 1      if its been a while(most likely original)   and is running any way other than  perfect, may be time to change blower motor as well   ... a few minutes and a few bucks...

OK what a PITA job this is but doable. Didn't have to remove inner fender well or cut a hole. The lower outboard nut behind the fender well is reachable and was removed without too much difficulty along with the other 3 nuts on the firewall which hold the heater box on. Of course most of the air ducts need to be removed after the dashpad is off. The defroster duct can remain in place.To get the ducts out you will find there are some other small things to take loose. Mind the wires and vac lines. Remove the pass side kick panel too and the lower dash air vent assembly it has 3 hard to see fastener nuts. Now the heater box can be pulled away from the firewall and laid down on the floor. Remove 8 screws from the metal back plate of the heater box and also 3 screws on the top which hold the damper mechanism in place. Be sure to mark the location of this mechanism for easy reassembly. Lift the metal plate up from the heater box and pull out the core. Careful when pulling the metal plate away from the box as it is made of fiberglass and can be damaged. Don't ask how I know. Reassembly in reverse order. 

• 1 year later...

I just removed the heater box from my 72 last fall and reinstalled it last week. I googled 1972 Monte Carlo heater core replacement and watched the you tube video done by Paris the car guy. His video was very good and the only thing missing from it was removing the brackets in the back of the box used to align the routing of some vacuum hoses which probably were not put back in place from a previous heater core replacement. I was able to get and replace the 2 actuators attached to the heater box, which would be impossible to replace unless the box was out of the car. If you need anything let me know. Let me know if the operation is complete!