power window switch

I purchased a set of power window switches from Ground Up last week, and I noticed that the back of the main (4 toggle) switch the studs are not in the same pattern as the original. Did any one have this problem? I don't have the car here to check but I do have the original (4 toggle ) switch and there in different positions. 

The single switches are correct, just the main doesn't look right to me.

I once got a 4 toggle switch at a swap meet with  a connector. I don’t know what GM car it was pulled from but it looked the same as my original one and I just wanted the connector since mine was being problematic. I realized though that the switch and connector was essentially backwards which might be the one you have. I made mine work but in your case I would ask them to send you the correct one. Send them a photo of the back of the original and the new one.

Hey, Willie,

Sounds like the new gang switch will not plug into your factory harness.  If you can't find a reproduction switch that matches the original stud pattern, I believe you may have a couple other options.

If the exterior appearance of your original switch is acceptable, it is possible (although a bit tedious) to completely refurbish the internal contacts and studs. I did this for all of the switches on a salvaged '72 power window system I installed in my '70 and made a project photo journal if you are interested.

If you want the exterior appearance and new mechanical workings of the new switch, you can possibly (and carefully) remove the back plate/stud array from your new switch and your old switch, refurbish the contacts and studs and swap the refurbished back plate onto your new switch housing.  That way the new switch will mate with your current harness.

After spending days messing with power windows on both of my '70s, I am convinced that poor electrical contact/conductivity is the biggest contributor to slow, intermittent or failing power window operation.  Which ever way you go with your switch(es), I suggest refurbishing all of the electrical connectors before you button it back up.

Finding a new switch with the original stud pattern is probably the most desirable solution so I hope that is possible.  Good luck.

P3142478.JPG

P3142479.JPG

431.JPG

441.JPG

• Like 1