Bristol Chevy Show

Canuck

The last few years have been tough for the Bristol Super Chevy show. Not many show cars , very few vendors despite advertising over 100 vendors would be present.  The racing is great , the car show..not so much. We did that show for 10 years and watched the show field go from 250 to 300 cars down to 50 or so. Very sad !  However a beautiful place to go !!!

Our club held one of our Eastern Meets there.  Like Michael said, great racing.  The year we were there our club participants were the majority of the cars on the show field.  The last night we were there we had several Parking Lot Seminars.  One of them was Andreas' 72's Waterpump went out to lunch and we found a 24 hour Auto Parts Store and were able to change it out in the hotel parking lot.  Also Kevin Wiles Monte started having trouble shifting.  We drained the tranny, installed a new tranny filter and fluid, also in the hotel parking lot.  Unfortunately the filter and fluid did not correct Kevin's issues but he was still able to limp home with it the way it was.  The fact that we could not fix it with the new filter and fluid was no surprise to us because of the amount of metal chunks we found in the old fluid.

If they are still able to have the show there again next year it may be a good location for the Eastern Meet next year.  I really enjoyed that show even though there were not many cars there.

rob

I attended a national monte carlo club show in Johnson City, and one of the "perks" was 7 laps around BMS with the montes, behind the pace car of course. You had to pay extra in advance but it was a blast. I would go back, it is a beautiful area and I can take the car to Deals Gap again. :yay:

4 hours ago, cbolt said:

I attended a national monte carlo club show in Johnson City, and one of the "perks" was 7 laps around BMS with the montes, behind the pace car of course. You had to pay extra in advance but it was a blast. I would go back, it is a beautiful area and I can take the car to Deals Gap again. :yay:

Jim,

We did that too.  We have pictures of our club cars doing laps.  It was a blast but a bit scary too.  That is such a short track, no sooner do you come out of a curve and you are going back into another.  The pace car does about 50 around the track and toward the end of coming out of the curve you can feel the centrifugal force pulling you up to the wall.

I think when we were there they charged $20 for your laps and that $20 was donated to local charities.  I think I went at least twice

rob 

Rob, that was a blast and I have a video from the dash of my car doing the laps. The speed, like you said, was around 50-55 but the sensation of speed was much greater. My only regret is following a car that wouldn't leave the apron and went slower than the pace car. We weren't allowed to pass. Running laps there inspired me to upgrade my suspension to the bilstein shocks and rear sway bar with the boxed control arms.

Rob, if we could do that again it would be a hoot. I would pay for more than just one run as well. My Monte is ready and waiting for a second chance.

• Like 1

Jim, On my first pass I think I was the second car behind the pace car and the other one I was right behind the pace car.  Maybe it is an idea for the 2021 Eastern Meet.  

rob

• 3 months later...