Boxing the Frame to stiffen it?

Deni2nd

On 2/28/2020 at 1:27 PM, Deni2nd said:

Asking for opinions on boxing the frame in to stiffen it. Is it a good idea or a waste of time? Is there any reasonable priced kits? I have seen some but very pricey. 

Hi Don, is there a specific reason you would be after boxing in the frame ? The convertibles and el camino's have boxed in frames for two obvious reasons with one being a convertable folding top and loss of body strength from a roof line thats not solid. and the el camino for it being in a truck catagory and adding weight in the rear...

are you resto moding the Monte or ?

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for replying 

I was under the impression that the frames had a tendency of being a little spongy and adding stiffeners by boxing in the frame couldn’t hurt.  Now would be the time to do it

D5932CE1-6A12-438D-9E98-7D95259B6203.jpeg

44D91E3D-F0E7-4508-BF7A-04BE8510ABDA.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Has anyone used the Frame FX kit by Hellwig on their Monte Carlo?
If so what transmission cross member did you use? If you box in the frame it looks like you need to change the way the transmission cross member mounts

if you are brave enough to get that far do it yourself....make the cardboard templates and cut 1/8 plate or take to welding place and have them cut it out

Before I did the Helwig  kit I picked up one corner of the frame and the rest of the frame still sat on the jack stands. Pretty flexible! I want my Monte to corner well. I also installed boxed trailing arms with coil overs.  In the front I did tubular a-arms with coil overs.

Bob

On 2/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, montebob70 said:

Before I did the Helwig  kit I picked up one corner of the frame and the rest of the frame still sat on the jack stands. Pretty flexible! I want my Monte to corner well. I also installed boxed trailing arms with coil overs.  In the front I did tubular a-arms with coil overs.

Bob

I did that with my uncle's GTO chassis. Talk about a noodle.