Brake Booster

201fireman

I got mine from I believe inline tube or the right stuff. Have it on my 70 SS. I believe it's a 9" dual diaphragm with a stock look.

I have stock valve covers with a 3/4 spacer. No clearance issue. 

IMG_0125.JPG

I would keep it simple and go with vacuum if you can. At the time I thought my engine was not making enough vacuum so I went with Hydroboost from Hydra-tech. Its a really nice system but it will cost some bucks. If your gonna do it do it right.  Another guy had a great write up on the install process and parts if your interested I pasted the link below. On my install I ran the lines through the fender. 

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/71471-Hydroboost-Installation-w-pics

The one I have is made for a Chevelle. Same as our Monte Carlo. The only thing is make sure the brackets from the booster to the firewall are for a Chevelle/A -body. 

Ok, is there a way to tell if I am going to have vacuum issues by my cam specs? Also, what 9" booster would work. Any ideas?  I am going to look into the hydroboost option but dam that's some coin.  It's an easier justification if I know I will have vacuum issues anyway. If Iam not and I can find a 9" booster that will work, it will be pretty tempting.

I believe there should be a way to tell by the cam specs, but I don't know how. You may want to contact the cam manufacturer or the engine builder. The place I got my cam from told me I would have enough vacuum  16 lbs. I had the motor built done by an engine builder. I didn't have enough vacuum for the brakes when I got her running.  Long story short. My engine builder screwed up on installing the intake and I had enough vacuum.. I figured that out after I went with the hydroboost. 😲

I know how it is when you have a valve cover you like . But it might be easier and cheaper to go with different valve cover if you can.  

Good Luck !!!

On my 70 SS that is pictured above I also installed a vacuum pump, behind the washer bottle on the fenderwells just for the heck of it. I had it in stock. Still cheaper than a hydroboost system. Just another option. 

• 1 month later...

Hey Todd. 

The vacuum pump kit I used, I purchased from summit. I looked real quick and didn't see it. I believe it was this one made by SSBC. The pic is just for a reference. Again, I purchased mine thru Summit. 

Screenshot_20200418-220802.png