Radio

John S

Was wondering what type of radio some of you are using. I bought one that fits into the original opening, it quit working. I do not want to cut into the dash if I don,t have to. Maybe someone can tell me what type they have had success with.

John S

Which features are you looking for?  Only FM radio, Bluetooth/aux, RCA outputs for external amps?  If you still have the original radio you may be better off getting it rebuilt if you only need Bluetooth and/or FM.  I think the rebuilds end up costing the same as the aftermarket 'classic' radios.

I left my factory radio in the dash and have a hidden modern stereo. I have an Alpine deck with radio, bluetooth and USB (no CD player) mounted above the glove box under the dash pad. The Alpine unit was under $100 and is better quality sound than many of the retro stereos. Since the face of the stereo is hidden while driving I purchased an IR extender so I can use the remote to control the stereo. The IR extender receives the signal from the remote and sends it to the stereo. I mounted the tiny IR receiver in the heat vent on top of the trans hump. You would never see it unless I told you it was there. I mounted the mic at the top of the windshield pillar. For me I wanted the car to appear stock but have modern technology. 

The drawback to my setup is that the face of the deck is not accessible while driving and the remote has limited controls. If I crawl in and look up under the dash I can see the face of the unit as it is angled downward. I only need to do this for initial set up (bass, treble, connect phone, etc) and don’t need to see it for day to day use. I can change stations, volume, skip songs, receive phone calls using the remote. The only function I can’t do while driving is make a call as my remote does not have a button to do that.

Also new laws have come into play regarding handheld electronic devices and an officer could consider my remote as such a device even though I don’t have to look at it to use it.