How You Doin

Rob Peters

With the Coronavirus issues we are all living with right now I am asking how is this affecting you.

I don't want to know that you are low on toilet paper, hand sanitizer, paper towels, milk etc, etc.

I am asking have you been laid off, hours reduced, working from home or some other way.  

I am asking if you are still going into your office, shop, store, driving a truck, servicing equipment in hospitals etc.

PLEASE, NO POLITICAL STATEMENTS OR IF YOU FEEL THIS IS ALL BS, THERE IS NO REASON FOR ANYONE TO STATE THEIR POLITICAL VIEWS.  ANY POLITICAL STATEMENTS OR SQUABBLES WILL BE DELETED FROM THIS STRING.

I am only giving everyone a platform to tell each other how we are being affected.

rob

I will start things off.  

I am retired so I don't have to worry about the work portion.

On the family front.  As of yesterday our oldest son and his wife have been setup at their home to do their job from their own home.  The jobs they do are jobs they do on a computer and over the phone so they are not laid off.  At the place our son works they had already cut their staff down to 25% so he was very lucky to even be working and now with them having him work from home is a good thing.  Since they had been working in an office and going home to their kids they will be mostly staying at home to reduce any exposure to others for the next couple weeks.  Their kids have been out of school for a week.  Since the four of them will be sheltering at home, this means we will not see them for the next couple weeks.  This affects us and our grandchildren in that the grandkids usually stay with us almost every weekend and we will miss them.

Our younger son works in food service so he is out of work and has applied for unemployment.  This son lives 3 houses down from us and has been redoing the interior on his 1997 BMW 328i so it has given me the opportunity to spend some time with him working on that.

For my wife Pat, she is catching up on her knitting projects.

For me, I am continuing to work on planning of the Eastern Meet by continuing to make name badges, preparing member registration folders, firming up the menu for the Award Dinner, printing member judging forms and many other aspects  of the Eastern Meet along with continuing to catch up on the club groupspaces account, paypal account etc. etc.  

rob

• Like 1

Things are getting a bit crazy where I work (very large power plant). A lot of the people are at home now, but our department, Operations, is considered 'essential personnel' and required to report. They've restricted access to the control room to those of us who work up there, and also have medical people on site 24/7 to take our temperature before granting access to the buildings. Also talk of possibly restricting us to stay on site and not leave the power plant. I heard they have sleeping bags, MRE's, and possibly shopping for trailers to put on site if it comes to that. On top of everything else that's going on around us, they're at least trying to ensure the power grid stays online & reliable.

Hitting my girlfriends business hard, she has a pet sitting business to let people's pets out during the day, and also sleepovers when they go on vacation. Obviously, that's at a standstill for now. At least she'll be able to stay with our dogs at night then I'm working the night shifts, and if I get locked on site, they'll still have her home as well.

Hope everyone stays healthy and comes out of this undamaged.

I'm retired also so not really effecting me so much but my daughter is a teacher and out of work and my girlfriend yesterday was her last day of work for at least 2 weeks. I'm sure this is harder on many more people than me. I messed up my back nearly 2 weeks ago so I haven't even been able to work on projects around house or on cat. Getting better day by day so I'll be able to get back to it soon. Stay safe everyone and remember to check on the elderly. 

I am a Transit Bus Maintenance Supervisor. Today we will reduce service to a weekend/holiday schedule. We do not forsee the total elimination of transit service. My kids have been home since last thursday, doing online school work. Transit rider ship is down about 70%. Stay safe

I'm still going into work. April is also working in my office as she always does during this time of year. Tax season is my busiest time of year and the tax returns are still getting dropped off fast and furious here. The scary part is 2,000 people come though the door over a 6 week period. My staff are all still here and we keep to our spaces working hard but I don't force any of them to be here, they want to come to work. Today we locked the door and we set up a way for the clients to drop off their taxes without stepping into the office which puts my receptionist at lower risk. More clients are signing their tax returns electronically so they avoid having to come in to sign. Who knows by next week we might have to close up completely for a period of time but we will take good care of the employees if that happens. I will still work if that is the case from home finishing up tax returns to keep the ball rolling. There has been an extension of the tax filing deadline but I still want to get as much done as I can so I don't make May and June too busy.

It is currently spring break for the girls (13 and 10) but the schools are closed indefinitely and may not reopen until September. Luckily my oldest is old enough to stay home looking after the younger daughter while April and I are at work.

Stay healthy everyone. This thing is no joke.

As long as the body shops stay open I will be working Monday, Tuesday and Thursday's from 8 till 3. Thinking about retiring for the third time but I enjoy getting out and talking to my friends in the business plus it keeps me out of Glendia's hair which she is very grateful for.

My company does alot of parts inventories for new car dealerships. We did one today and have another scheduled tomorrow. After that I'm not sure because the governor is putting a shelter in place order in effect tomorrow at 5 PM. Maybe some time off to work on the car or start looking for a 4 speed

Hey Everyone, I am retired from one job, but still working for Big Brown. Lately we have been working like crazy with all the returns. Most business's have closed, and all their shipments have to go back where they came from. So it is double the volume. My part time job usually runs to 5 or 6 hrs a day now.   The other time I am trying to get the car done for the big meet at Carlisle in June. Constantly running back and forth to the painter with something he needs that I forgot to give him. LOL

The wife is home this week because the  county shut her office down to 25% workforce. She is far from happy that she cannot see our kids or 2 grandsons. Our oldest daughter is a school teacher who has to teach her students at home online during the week, and home school her son at the same time. Of course all the schools are shut down. Our middle daughter is lucky enough to have a job that her and her husband can work at home, but they are afraid of going out unless it is absolutely necessary.  My son is a Police Officer who is first in line of this terrible virus. 

I pray everyday for all my kids, grandkids, and you guys, and your kids, and grandkids to be safe and never have to deal with this in any form. I know its our job to be protectors of the next generation. but it sucks when we have no control over it. 

Be careful and stay safe

God Bless us All

It's amazing how quickly live can be turned upside down. My wife company closed it's doors this week and sent her home,school is closed probably till the end of the year and she has become teacher for our quintuplets yes 4 girls and a boy age 11. There is no way I could teach 6th grade math to them !!! I am still going into work in Manhattan every night. The city is a ghost town. Evey night when I wait for the bus it's like rolling the dice weather I'm going to get sick or not. Hope everyone is safe and healthy through this time. Pictures of Manhattan warm Friday night 70' and it's empty......then Saturday morning

KIMG1163.JPG

KIMG1161.JPG

KIMG1158.JPG

I am in Ohio and still working (electrician) as though the pandemic never happened, luckily I have been on jobs that have only one or two other people in the whole building. Some days there were no one except me...I have been doing punchlists for several of the new buildings at the local college we did. Even traveled to Columbus Ohio the past two days to fix things in a school that was remodeled...again just one other person in the entire school. Things could halt at any time though. If they do it will give me a reason to fix things on the Monte and around the house that I am normally too tired to do after work.

• Like 1

Hey Everyone, Have not been online for a while (no internet at work anymore), and busy working on my man cave in my basement. Pool table, pinball machine, and dry bar. Last night we were checked at the only (in ) entrance at work with thermometer, and somehow "essential" to work since we are at 100% in the state at this time. Our state has the most cases with 1person near here confirmed. Wife is working at home now until they want her to come back in. I hope the guys out in Long island (sarprano's) are well's well as the rest of our family here on the site. We'll weather the storm, come out stronger on the other side of this thing. Stay safe, and hygiene is all for now.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg 

• Like 1

Wow alot to think about...I am working part time as electrician- self employed ...predictably , residential activity has been put on hiatus for now. But this morning i went to a metal stamping firm that  i service..they do medical as well as some defense work and brought in a new 40 ton stamping press- components for sterilization equipment to Case Medical for hospitals- and needed to ramp up production- while the contributions of healthcare workers,first responders,truckers ,grocers etc etc  are immense, I kinda felt like I contributed in some small way.

Being almost 60 with a history of asthma,I am quite concerned and am sheltering in place as the expression goes...also my daughter is immuno supressed, so another concern-but my concern is not meant to sound selfish-we are incredibly blessed and feel so much more for so many where the combination of economic and health instability must be all consuming..we all have scores of mom and pop businesses in all our neighborhoods who are now closed...vendors who have also become friends on a first name basis-lets hope they can see this through.

One last point-like  so many,my mind sometimes races in circles over this and don't want to drag us through the mud,but times like this bring out the best in people in countless small ways-one example that warmed my heart- truckers running long hours with all we now depend on for survival-they can't walk up or roll thru the drive up windows for food...so people took it upon themselves to sit in rest stops,take orders for them and roll thru in their cars...Bravo!!

To all fellow members and everyone else, lets take one day at a time, help out where we can and keep safe ... "this too shall pass"  with better days ahead,I know I will appreciate those "better days" like never before                     Brian

• Like 1

Well, Im still working, somehow my job has been deemed essential! Im happy for that, although Ive been cut to a 4 day week for now, and 20% pay reduction to match. That combined with the 25% I took to get out of the paint booth really stings. Alli is not working right now due to her latest chemo treatment to keep her autoimmune disease in check. That means I need to be real careful to not bring anything home as she has zero immune system. I visit plenty of shops on a weekly basis and its getting difficult to go to any of them with the restrictions in place. Kids are home from school till further notice, which is a good thing with all we have going on here we dont need them germs coming home. As others have said,  we are laying low, keeping our distance, and just trying to get through this. The way people have hoarded things up around here is pretty bad, but we are in a good neighborhhood, and everyone is looking out for each other. Thankful for what we have, and its only a matter of time and this will be behind us, 

Hang in there everyone, we are hoping this is behind us sooner than later

I work in a non-structural body shop and is considered essential.... really? haha....My commute went from 4 hours round trip a day to less than 2 hours. Some parts are hard to get due to lack of delivery, very few customers. I work in San Francisco so its strange to see a ghost town when just a month ago the streets were infested with people, bicyclists, cars, buses etc etc. 

I never had to buy extra toilet paper thank god because there aint none. I did get extra eggs and cat food. my cat likes scrambled and I like meow mix.

• Like 1

a brief note...liquor stores here in NJ  are deemed essential and will not cut hours and staff... official  release was "due to the fact they sell beverages which are critical to keeping us  healthy and hydrated"   OK-as the song goes 'whatever gets you thru the night...'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blake350 said:

a brief note...liquor stores here in NJ  are deemed essential and will not cut hours and staff... official  release was "due to the fact they sell beverages which are critical to keeping us  healthy and hydrated"   OK-as the song goes 'whatever gets you thru the night...'

Yup here in NY too

Down in Flariduh!  only thing really closed is  bars and eating establishments.  Auto repair has been deemed essential so at least I'm good. Wife runs a garbage company so we are overall good.

I am working from home as I am in IT dept that we have been working long hours for past 2 weeks to prepare online teaching for our University and looking forward to settle down soon.  And may rise up to support K-12 soon.

I need to get some time on my Monte soon as I ordered some parts I’m case of shut down for me to do something 😁

I must be doin fantastic.  Honey do list is getting shorter I THINK. Kitchen is repainted and now we will check into replacing the laminate in the room with a vinyl laminate I think. Glendia keeps getting on line and finding bad reviews on everything we had picked out and is now looking at sheet vinyl or so I thought. She just read a review last evening that the vinyl laminate is better and more durable than the sheet goods. So the saga goes on. The first is my 2nd assistant. Every time I go to move lately I come close to tripping over her. A 17 yr old Chihuahua and Dottie is her name. Glendia being the main assistant who did the majority of the first coat while I was working yesterday. 

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

• Like 2

hi, i am currently off work because schools are closed,i am one of the maintenance men in our district ,my son a firefighter paramedic ,daughter in law is a grade school teacher,and my wife is a surgical nurse at an out patient surgery center ,we are all affected by this nightmare ,but the best thing we are all positive and know this will come to an end soon, stay safe ,roger

We closed our office to the public completely on Monday. I’m now working at home. My staff are still at the office but they each have their own space and keep to themselves as much as possible.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, Blake350 said:

Funny, state run liquor stores are closed in Pa, but Beer Distributors are open! Those of you who arent from Pa, until recently you were not able to buy beer other than from a beer distributor or a bar in 6 packs. 

Finally we got up with the times, much easier to get beer now, I guess thats why they allowed the distributors to stay open, seeings how you could get beer at most supermarkets now