inner fender skirt rear filler panel

Grant MacPherson

I believe you are talking about the front fender fenderwells?  I know The Parts Place has them as well as other Monte Carlo specific parts places. 

I don't remember their specific name though. I think it's a "splash sheild". It's a plastic piece. 

Grant,

I have installed two pairs of those splash shields and offer a word of caution in case it applies to your installation.  I don't know if the material used to make those reproduction splash shields varies by manufacturer/supplier, but both pairs I acquired were made of fairly thin stiff/brittle black plastic.  As you can see in the photo below of the Assembly Manual page, the splash shield mounts just behind the inner fender with three screws: one into the frame, one into the bottom of the door sill and one to the back edge of the inner fender.

If your splash shields are also made of stiff/brittle black plastic, be extremely careful that you don't over-tighten any of the screws, especially the one that connects to the bottom rear edge of the inner fender.  I found that the contour of the splash shield did not match the contour of the rear edge of the steel inner fenders on my '70 SS.  When I tried to snug up that fastener, the edge of the brittle splash shield broke off and I had to epoxy it back together.  I did not have that problem when I installed a similar pair on my '70 with plastic inner fenders from the Parts Place because they were flexible enough to conform to the contour of the splash shield (another reason why I prefer flexible plastic inner fenders over steel). 

Good luck with your installation.

PC014332.JPG

I installed these. They didn't seem to fit very well, I trimmed them and had to add the J-nuts. Bolt 5 is in to the chassis.

After driving the car for a few hundred miles, one shattered. I suppose there was some movement between the body and the frame.

I’m wondering if it would be worth it to fiberglass them and finish them off and paint them. I agree that they are not good. I bought them when they first came out and thought just like you guys. Those the Part Place make better ones?

I bought mine from the Parts Place. I installed new panels at the same time as the inner fenders. No problems to report. I left all the bolts finger tight on the inner fenders and tightened the bolts on the panel and then the inner fenders if that makes sense.