Got the body in the air

TommySS454

Made a rotisserie out of a couple of engine stands. Havent tried to spin it yet, but it rolls around the shop pretty good. Ill try to spin it when I have some help, just to be safe. Got it up and didnt drop it or fold it up so Im calling a win for the day.  Going to replace the floor pan with a 1 piece AMD unit.

IMG_20200329_173235392.jpg

IMG_20200329_171252392_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200329_162437959.jpg

IMG_20200329_173302026.jpg

• Like 2

Ceiling is around 9 1/2 feet. If it doesn't work out I've got a total of $50 invested. There are videos on YouTube of similar homemade jigs so I thought I'd give it a try.

I think your idea is clever and could be workable, but NOT as it is currently shown in your photos above. 

The axis of rotation (i.e. invisible line between the center of the two stand "bearings") needs to be much closer to the axial center of the body's mass (although hard to know exactly where that is).  Right now the axis of rotation appears to go through the lower edge of the windshield and rear window leaving a much greater mass/weight below it than above it.  It would be the same as putting a whole chicken on a BBQ rotisserie skewer too close to the backbone.  If, in its current orientation, you can jack the body up and lower the attachment brackets so the axis of rotation is moved down closer to the axial center of gravity (probably passes through a little above the middle of the firewall) , the body should rotate easier with fairly equal weight distribution at any radial position.

If you attempt to rotate the body the way it is currently attached to the stands, I'm afraid the extra weight below the current axis of rotation will unbalance the entire set up so much that it will either tip over or be so marginal as to be unsafe.  Again, I applaud your creativity but hope you don't try to rotate the body in the position shown.

I know the centerline isn't where I want it. And if I can get a little rotation out of it that's fine, that's of secondary concern. I wanted it up to get to the floor pan and be mobile enough to roll to the side of the shop to get other cars in. So both of my main concerns are met with this setup.  The R&D took minutes of design work and almost half a sheet of notebook paper to sketch this out. It's pretty high tech...

• Like 3

I'm thinking it will do you well for what you want to do with the floor. 1 piece? ,Now that will take some time to maneuver onto place. I'm going to be following this set-up. post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

It looks like it will get the job done. I replaced the floors in mine but used pans. The one piece floor would have been the better way to go! I ended up making a wood cart after i did the metal work to sit the body one. I really wanted a rotisserie but didn't want to invest too much into one!

Good luck with the floor replacement!

• 3 weeks later...

Made a couple modifications to the rotisserie and got the body turned on its side. Turns relatively easy for a homemade rig. Anyone here used the one piece floor from AMD? Any tips?IMG_20200412_182332964.thumb.jpg.dc7af14e01b57dfb73b4ff34799e06da.jpg

IMG_20200412_181711067.jpg

• Like 4

The rotisserie looks like it will give you great access! I didn't use the one piece floor. I ended up using full pans and a 1 piece trunk. I also installed the area under the back seat.  A one piece floor would have probably been better. I've never installed a one piece floor but if I were to I'd just make sure I braced everything up. From that pic your floors don't look terrible.  Is there a lot of rust/rot?

I could have used patch panels but for the price of the one piece I figured it would probably be less work and I won't worry about it in a few years. The floor is supposed to be here Monday. Getting the dash out now. Then tack in some bracing. The floor isn't as bad as the back of the car. That tail panel will be fun I'm sure

IMG_20200421_163707108.jpg

IMG_20200421_162809006.jpg

IMG_20200421_164508661.jpg

I am jealous of the access the rotisserie gives you on the bottom side! Does the one piece floor you're getting have all the bracing too?

I ended up buying a used tail panel for mine off of AZChevs on ebay. I was in the middle of repairing mine when I spotted the listing for the tail panel. Definitely a labor saver!

The AMD piece has all the braces included. Supposed to be a ready to go unit. I'll find out soon I guess. I've been eye balling some used tail panels on the internet. Seems about $500 or so is the going rate.

I've had a few parts cars over the years, but none of the tail panels were worth removing. When I'm ready I'll be asking around the group for leads on a good one.

IMG_20200427_143022810.thumb.jpg.42646931c1adae62d2676be11b2d9ba2.jpgGetting closer. Measuring for console and bucket seat mounts. The rear seat  brackets,  bucket seat brackets, and console bracket will need to be put on the new pan

• Like 3