Dashboard light bulbs

AJ1970

Hey everyone-

hope you’re staying safe and well.  

Right now I’ve got some time on my hands.  I need to replace the turn signal lightbulbs in the dashboard.  While I am in there will probably change the bulbs for gauges.  

Scale of 1-10 how much of a pain is this?    

I haven’t found much info but I assume I need to remove the dash to gain access.  

any tips or tricks is greatly appreciated.  

thanks- 

The original 194 lamp is 3.78 watts, lamp 17177 is 5 watts so it's nicely brighter. Direct replacement.

If you try to replace the bulbs with the cluster in place, you greatly increase the chance of tearing up the copper spot contacts on the flex board for them.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Lighting-BP17177-Miniature-Bulb/dp/B000C920AW

Paul  quick question if you don't mind---17177 looks good---  how long has that p/n been around? i only am familiar with 168/194 over the years..I see the 17177 is readily available

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the bulbs with led’s and found I needed to pull the dash pad to gain access, the dash pad removal is a 10-15 minute job and 6 screws, 4 over the cluster 2 in the glove box. when young I snaked my arm up from under the dash but my arm doesn’t bend the way any more, lol.  This still left a couple a little hard to get at.

Paul Bell is correct be careful around the printed circuit sheet when replacing the bulbs, the traces in my case were 48 years old and when I attempted the bulb for the headlight switch the holder moved the copper trace.  I was able to get the bulb holder to trap the trace under the contact point when I realized why it wouldn’t light up.  I‘ll replace it when I upgrade to a tack instrument cluster in a few weeks. A separate  pc board/sheet is available from Sonnie24 on ebay and others as well.

If you choose to pull the dash you may need to drop the steering wheel,  good luck.

J