Stuck ball joint

I'm in the process of replacing all bushings and ball joints on the front control arms.
Lower ball joint is stuck in the spindle. I tried hammering it, and then I bought a ball joint removal tool and it did not move at all.
I have a 12tons shop press, but I'm afraid to break or bend the spindle if I use the press.

Any advice on how to remove it?

Thank you

Are you seeing rust at the contact surfaces of the spindle and ball joint pin?  If yes i would get some very good penetratingoil and give it a week or two soaking and then try the removal tool again.

rob

30 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Do you mean separating the ball joint shaft from the spindle? If so a pickle fork will work. 

Yes Steve, when he said he had tried a ball joint removal tool that is what I assumed he was talking about but maybe he was talking about a tool that presses it out.  Romain, what kind of tool were you using.  Here is a link to the tool Steve is referring to and the same thing I use:  https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tool-ball-joint-separator-fork-drop-forged-steel-disconnects-ball-joint-from-connecting-links-w1206p/11506072-p?product_channel=local&store=6237&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=6237&gclid=CjwKCAjw95D0BRBFEiwAcO1KDN8bpAi0_z79f159NnIAexpwvr-XDISwS9o2ePJkOhKDNDYRkrIy9RoCD3IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

rob

If you didn't try this yet..... Heat up the spindle near the ball joint. Hit repeatedly with a BFH!!! Usually does the job. Up here in the north east we get alot of parts that wind up together that shouldn't be. Lolol. Good luck! 👍

8 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Yes Steve, when he said he had tried a ball joint removal tool that is what I assumed he was talking about but maybe he was talking about a tool that presses it out.  Romain, what kind of tool were you using.  Here is a link to the tool Steve is referring to and the same thing I use:  https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tool-ball-joint-separator-fork-drop-forged-steel-disconnects-ball-joint-from-connecting-links-w1206p/11506072-p?product_channel=local&store=6237&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=6237&gclid=CjwKCAjw95D0BRBFEiwAcO1KDN8bpAi0_z79f159NnIAexpwvr-XDISwS9o2ePJkOhKDNDYRkrIy9RoCD3IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

rob

Actually I used that tool without success 

IMG_20200402_095719.thumb.jpg.8917449eac7400516a900b6694ef498b.jpg

7 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

If you didn't try this yet..... Heat up the spindle near the ball joint. Hit repeatedly with a BFH!!! Usually does the job. Up here in the north east we get alot of parts that wind up together that shouldn't be. Lolol. Good luck! 👍

7 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Be careful if you heat it up the grease in the joint will burn and splatter. Trust me I have the scars to prove it. 😆

Here is the stuck ball joint. I'll try to soak it with penetrating oil. Also I can try to heat it up as I have removed the boot and most of the grease. 

IMG_20200402_101429.thumb.jpg.fe0aeff0f4dec377a1fc04739fb61bfe.jpg

From what i can see, rust is not your issue. If you have a ball joint fork some call it a pickle use it, if you dont rent it. if you insist on doing it with out the tool , ge a big hammer and hit the knuckle with all you got, it will eventually fall out. trust me rust is not your issue.

42 minutes ago, imr said:

From what i can see, rust is not your issue. If you have a ball joint fork some call it a pickle use it, if you dont rent it. if you insist on doing it with out the tool , ge a big hammer and hit the knuckle with all you got, it will eventually fall out. trust me rust is not your issue.

Unfortunately I don't have a fork and because of confinement, everything is closed out there.

I'm just afraid to wrap or bend the knuckle if I hit it too hard. What are your thought?

I have always had great success with removing the spindle from the ball joint with the whole thing assembled in the car. The coil spring provides the necessary force to separate the spindle from the ball joint when you smack it with a big hammer. That method works great if you want to reuse the ball joint and rubber boot because the pickle fork normally damages the boot. Can you reassemble the suspension?

if you put that tool on it and turn it to the side then hit it a few times i believe it would pop off. Like Cbolt said now how most people seperate them but your not reusing the ball joint

I forgot to add if you do decide to reassemble the suspension to separate the spindle from the ball joint make sure you screw the castle nut down on the ball joint until you have a small gap between the spindle and the nut. When the spring causes the parts to break free they will do so with some force and if the nut isn't installed you risk injury as the spring will likely fly out of there in a hurry!!!

• Like 1

Romain, it is my opinion that just aren't hitting it hard enough. Trust me, you aren't going to hurt that 12 pound spindle. It is a taper on the ball joint, and they do get stuck. If it doesn't come out with the hammer you have, get a bigger hammer. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your advices! 

Victory! I sprayed penetrating oil on the top of the ball joint, and then pressed it out with success.

IMG_20200403_164947.thumb.jpg.a33071efc0fd47b1745521f0b270e663.jpg

My chinese tool didn't like it very much... 

IMG_20200403_165024.thumb.jpg.785bd2167daa65dd4e030f4c542ee7df.jpg

Now it's bushing time! 

• Like 2

I figured with a lot of penetrating oil,  a little luck, and just enough force it HAD  to come out..being a smooth tapered fit  it wasn't IF but WHEN.....I had a situation with a water outlet bolt recently...finally she cracked loose and was able to slowly work it out  of the manifold no better felling in the world for those few seconds!!

• Like 1