T350 to 2004r swap drive shaft too long

Traveler

Completed the swap of the entire driveline this weekend 10 bolt to 12 bolt t350 to a 2004r, and a new 383.  All of the research for this swap suggests that the drive shaft would be the same length yet I cannot install the old drive shaft as it’s too long, not by much but enough that the universal will not go over the yoke.  Anyone have an idea as to why it doesn’t fit when many have said their similar swaps didn’t require a drive shaft mod?

J

Hey, 

Silly question, is the car in the air with the rear hanging? Or are the stands under the rear end and the car is the ride height as if it was on the ground? 

Also, in case you didn't know, to install the 10 bolt rear driveshaft into the 12 bolt, you need a conversion u joint/trick joint. 

The cars on a frame lift with the rear hanging.  MC1of80, trick u joint, I’m unaware of a trick joint is there a part #, manufacturer, supplier...?

Thanks, it put the progress on hold until I resolve it, I was aware there would be the unknowns this I didn’t expect.

J

Hey, 

The trick/conversion joint part number is 372 made by Moog.

A lift!?! How nice! Lolol Either lower the car onto jackstands under the axle tubes or if you have access to pole jacks or a trans jack lift the rear to it's ride height position and try the driveshaft. 

Alot of times the rear hangs too far down shortening the distance between the trans and rear. 

7 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

A lot of times the rear hangs too far down shortening the distance between the trans and rear. 

That's the answer right there.

• Like 1

I always find a name for my cars, her name is Lady. I once introduced a very beautiful girl friend, who I was serious about, to my family after a day at the beach, boy did I hear about that.  Something about hair and make up lol. The Monte is a mess and I will post shots once I clean her up a bit.  We all know what happens when you disrespect a lady, LOL

J

If she turns into a -itch it not on me, lol

hope to fire her up this Wednesday, still have power steering pump and lines, carb, fuel pump, prime the engine, complete the trans install(tci kit) reinstall the radiator, shroud, install distributor- still quite a list but it’s getting smaller

B164AF64-CE4E-4D93-BD9C-780FAB3517C6.jpeg

3FD2B17B-D0DB-47E9-9F2E-BE10FE1E4D92.jpeg

8679A2E4-DDB2-4944-9E7A-5780D00191E7.jpeg

CBE27880-F171-4635-A2FC-28B883BE6E58.jpeg

• Like 1

Yea my list seems to be growing too, the amount of post it notes on the door is multiplying. I hope to have underneath finished and start working under the hood by friday lol 

• 2 weeks later...