Son's first Monte

Happy Easter everyone!

Many of you may recognize the 71 Monte Carlo that my son purchased as being one that my brother 714024speed had. 

Well now we decided with the self isolation to work on it. Mind you, this was a running and driving car with a target master 350 engine and Jasper th350 engine. Bother of which have less than 1500 miles on them. 

It now is going to have a 355 with a roller cam, th400, and 2 1/2 in dual exhaust that "WE" have in stock that was originally slated to be put into this Monte eventually. 

Well, here's eventually... Lol

IMG_20200411_113323.jpg

IMG_20200411_141733.jpg

IMG_20200412_104403.jpg

IMG_20200412_115618.jpg

• Like 3

That's great, Tom!!  Assume your son is at least driving age?  Few mods are as exciting as a successful heart transplant.  Enjoy!

Looking good and looks like you've had some nice weather for the job. I forgot what age I realized I didn't know everything but i'm sure it was after 25 lol. 

And just an fyi, every time you say "in stock" I just shake my head and say DAMN ! lol. Then I check the clock to make sure I can open a beer to cry in 

Keep posting progress pic's 

Tom's son my nephew is no stranger to American muscle thank God. At the age of 18 I gave him my 69 LeMans convertible that I have owned for 20+years. Here is a picture of it last week when we put the "in stock M22" trans into it. He is also the main driver of our 9second 84 caviler....... he's a good kid thank God.

IMG_20200321_185111_01.jpg

KIMG0985.JPG

• Like 4

Looks good Tom, and son, lol

I also thought I knew everything when I was in my 20's but now I am older and I forgot a lot, so I actually know less.  lol

Hey Mark, I say the same thing when they say "in stock". But they always seem to have it, and I witnessed it, THEY DO!!!!!

• Like 3

Great working on cars with your kids.  By working on them and making improvements they gain a respect for cars more than if they are just given them. 

rob

• Like 1

Well, here's today's progress. Have the MSD, throttle cable conversion (To longer 78-88 g-body) fuel line from the pump to carb, and fluids. Then we see how it goes. Lol

IMG_20200419_161600.jpg

IMG_20200419_161608.jpg

• Like 2

Wow Bob. So sorry, I typed a response Sunday to you but didn't finalize sending it. Ughhhhhh! 

Main reasons for me are...

Longer cable

More positive retention at the carb bracket (which will need to be replaced also) as compared to the stock rubber slip on  design

More positive retention at the carb. (Need to change from stock ball style to stud style.)

With the stock style cable, in some situations/set ups it is too short. The longer cable let's you use just about any set up. (Intake/spacer combo)

Plus, it's new. Lol

Photo-

1- comparison of new cable (top) to old (bottom) lengths.

2- cable retention at carburetor bracket

3- cable retention at the carburetor

4- the part that goes through the firewall to gas pedal

5- the 2 "things" that need to be trimmed, filed, grinded, cut from both sides of the g-body cable for it to lock into the firewall. 

6- after modification

Before installing the cable through the firewall, slice/cut the white bushing from the gas pedal side and remove from the cable. After installing the cable to the firewall, pull the cable through the hole in the gas pedal bracket and reinstall the previously removed bushing. Then snap the bushing into the gas pedal bracket. 

7- new cable installed and secured. 

All fluids done, gauges installed MSD installsed. Just got delivery of the fuel fittings and lines. Probably tomorrow's project and then fire up! Lol

IMG_20200421_102404.jpg

IMG_20200421_102429.jpg

IMG_20200421_102410.jpg

IMG_20200421_102436.jpg

IMG_20200421_102453.jpg

IMG_20200422_111932.jpg

IMG_20200422_131919.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Been a moment between the rain. Lol we finished the engine install. Swapped out the th400 for one we had "in stock" from my 70 SS. Installed a 2500 stall Hughes torque converter that was "in stock". Installed new steel transmission lines that I had kicking around for too long. Lol.

After that we installed  the 2 1/2inch flowmaster exhaust system that was also "in stock" with new SS exhaust tips. 

Then while it was still on the stands we swapped out the upper and lower control arms with polyurethane bushings previously installed, that, I know you are tired of hearing this (I'm sorry) were "in stock", well they were. Lol and then swapped the steering box and all the steering linkage. The box was, you know by now, "in stock" LOL but the linkage was not. 

Here are a few pics....

IMG_20200504_173427.jpg

IMG_20200504_173408.jpg

IMG_20200504_173353.jpg

IMG_20200504_173330.jpg

• Like 2

Good looking progress Tom, keep posting the updates. And I did get a laugh this morning from all your in stock parts. I went to install my mini starter Sunday and it didn't have the nuts on the poles, and of course I didn't have any in stock lol (and no the old 454 starter nuts didn't fit) Even went through my buddies shoe box of spare nuts and bolts and he didn't have any "in stock" either so off to the hardware store this morning. 

Nice Tom!!!! She looks great and starting to come along!!!    I haven't even seen mine in weeks. Been tearing out weeds and bushes, and now planting 55 trees. All to make my better half happy!!! OOOHH wait then the honey do list. I told her I have to finish the car by June. She says I have plenty of time.   LOL  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 8:06 PM, MC1of80 said:

IMG_20200421_102429.jpg

Thanks for detailing this little upgrade. Was dealing with old linkage today and the kinked-up cable is driving me nuts because its unpredictable Responsive. Adding this to my to-do list. 

does it need a newer gen bracket on the intake or does old bracket work with new cable? 

I would recommend a new throttle bracket. I don't know what look you are going for but I would recommend the factory throttle cable bracket for a Holley carb.

A little fancier than the one we used (had it "in stock") but yes, it is like it. I like the way the return springs are incorporated into it. Ez pz.

7 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

A little fancier than the one we used (had it "in stock") but yes, it is like it. I like the way the return springs are incorporated into it. Ez pz.

Thanks, I test fit the carb in place yesterday and I don't think the original is going to fit the bill lol. 

I got mine for my Firebird  off eBay because his son took the "in stock one" lol ,think it was a little cheaper than summit. Here it is installed, a little long for my liking but works great.

KIMG1256.JPG

KIMG1257.JPG

• Like 2