More Wiring Help

gdubya

Need some help. The pass side courtesy lamp is spliced into the driver side lamp and then someone added a connector to plug it into the fuse panel. This cannot be correct. Wiring diagrams show both coming from the splice behind the instrument panel.  Picture attached. 

The rear Defog is throwing me for a loop. The purple wire goes to the trunk as expected but coming off the switch is the inline fuse and two connectors. The male one was plugged into an orange wire behind the ac controls that I traced back to the splice behind the IP. The female end was not connected to anything. I thought the defog was plugged into the fuse box but the connector is wrong. Is the orange wire supposed to be for the courtesy lamps?  Pic attached. 

990988FA-084D-4CF4-BA39-C7F5D0FA2C52.jpeg

1EBD4642-3A24-42AF-AD09-95EFAA108708.jpeg

That does not look exactly like it did from the factory, but it will work. The orange wires from the courtesy lights on the driver and passenger side should go into the blue female connector as you said. From the factory there would have been a short orange wire with a male connector on it like the red wire for the defogger has. Plug that blue female connector into the fuse box in the Bat. position. Slide it over the made spade in the fuse box. The red power wire for the defogger goes in the ignition position, which is two spots down from where you just plugged in the courtesy light power wire. The extra plug on each of those wires is in case you have more power options to plug in. There are only so many spaces on the fuse block.

Thanks Red

The defog wire was originally plugged into an orange wire behind the ac controls and not into the fuse box. Is that the short orange wire you are talking about? I think that is where the original courtesy lamps may have plugged into. If that is the case, where can I find replacement connectors?

Not sure the connector on the defog will plug in as it is a different style of connector. Not sure the defog harness is original to the car or not. It was built with rear defog but not sure of originality.  

All the orange wires that have connectors on them in your dash harness are constant hot wires. Meaning that they draw right from the battery. This would include your clock wire, cigarette lighter wire and glove box light wire. These are all orange in color. You have a battery spot in your fuse block that is marked BAT. Plug that blue connector with the orange wire into the BAT location. It should fit there. Now if your door jamb switch wires are tied in with those white wires on your courtesy lights and you plug that blue connector in the BAT location your courtesy lights should go on when you open one or both of your cars doors. Be sure the bulbs are in working condition.

Now if you plug that black connector for the defogger in the Ignition location, which is marked IGN, and you have the rest of the defogger wiring correctly run, your defogger will most likely work. Do not forget the ground on the defogger motor. Be sure the fuse is good.

Just for sheets and giggles please try my suggestions. I am trying to help you. Your courtesy light wires have been messed with and most likely were not plugged in where they were supposed to be from GM.

Thanks again Red.  The courtesy lamps were originally plugged into the fuse box as you described and they worked. 

Looking at how it was wired I could tell it wasn’t factory correct. Looking at the wiring diagrams, in an original car it appears the lamps are fed from an orange wire from the dash harness you describe. I found an orange wire with a connector at the end. Do you think the lamps feed from this in an original set up?

Why does the defog have a pigtail connector?  When I found the car the defog was plugged into the orange wire I described above but I agree it should go into the panel because you only want it hot with key on.

I have power to the fan only in Hi and not in Low plus I think the motor is shot.  The motor is grounded.  Perhaps motor is shot.  Going to pull out and bench test  

Post a picture of the orange wire you are talking about. I should be able to identify it. Please show the connector on the end of it. To my knowledge the orange wire should be plugged into the fuse box in the BAT position. This is the way that I have seen them from the factory.

Red, I cannot thank you enough. Here are some pics of the connector. Not easy to get a good pic of location. It comes off the harness and drops down below the radio. 

looking at the wiring diagram I feel like it is supposed to feed the courtesy lamps but not really sure. 

Any ideas on what it would plug into it?

58F72EB1-CDA8-4E9E-9CEF-94AC3DD738FE.jpeg

6DA599B5-37E9-4ED9-9BC2-6C0836768D10.jpeg

Based on the location I would guess it feeds the console in console cars. When I added my console I had to tie the console harness into the factory plug, and that little guy looks familiar. Why not use a test light and see when the connector has voltage? Or if you don't have power available you could read it back to the fuse block to put yourself in the ballpark at least.

That single orange wire is not for a console. I can see the correct black connector for a console in that picture. It is the connector with the orange, gray and white wire in it. The console connector is just below the single orange wire and to the right.

• Like 1

Red you beat me to it.  Any idea about the singe orange wire?  If you need a better picture let me know.  It is not an easy spot to get to.  I traced it up into the main wiring harness where it heads back towards to driver's side and then dips back towards the fuse block (I believe).

• Like 1

Yup!  It was for the clock. Although the clock doesn’t work but at least that mystery is solved. 

Sorry to keep asking questions but not sure what this is either. Only gray wire in the wiring diagram is for the panel lamps and I don’t see it splitting. In the pic two gray wires come from the Acc slot in the panel and then one goes up perhaps to the dash lights. The second goes into a weird connector extension/converter where it turns to a red wire. 

39FA7C15-D6D4-4B88-A102-94486DC237CD.jpeg

I looked at the wiring diagram in electrical that Rob posted and it looks like the 20gy wire runs to the radio and I think the light switch. Maybe someone can double check me on that.

That gray wire would be power for a rear view mirror with a map light. I would have to bet that you have a rear view mirror with a map light. Do you? Any more wiring questions? That Pink looking wire is from another power accessory that your car has. What other power options do you have?

Red

Thanks again for your help.  I have power windows and locks so I would bet it is one of those.  I will trace it down if need be.  Just waiting on my radio harness to arrive so I can put her back together.  Meanwhile, I will need to do some cleanup of the previous owners wiring hatchet job and work on the defog motor.

Appreciate your help,

GW

The ground was off the motor but even after I grounded it it didn’t work. Getting power to motor but only in Hi position. Nothing in Low. 

hopefully get out there tomorrow to do more digging. 

I had the exact same problem.  I did replace the blower motor resistor.  I agree with Thomas F, 9 out of 10 times that would be the cause.  BUT. in my case it was not the blower resistor, it was the blower switch itself.

Once I took the switch out and was able to take it apart and look at it i cold see the damage.

rob