1972 Monte Carlo Custom information

Hello again.

I am a new member and asked about rim sizes and already got responses and I thank you for the information. Recently I recently purchased my first 1st generation model. I have a 1972 Monte Carlo “Custom”. I want to learn more about this model and wondering if information is available? Still learning my way around this site. I bought it from the original family. I have “most” of the build sheet and slowly trying to read it properly. The original family ordered the custom option package with the 454 big block. I am cleaning it up at the moment and going to have it gone through and get the leaks, unconnected wires, carb adjustment and all fluids changed and take care of and the brakes. Soon I will post photos. Any suggestions or where I can find out more about my custom model would be great. Thank again!!

There is a "custom" data base in the SS454  section. In your Vin there should be a W in it. That showed that a 454 was ordered in your car. A U would be a 402. 

As far as custom standard  pieces there are the wide belt mouldings , f41 suspension, special steering wheel, turbine wheel covers with 15x7 steel rims if not ordered with rally wheels. Sport driver's mirror and "custom" emblems next to the Monte Carlo emblem on the sail panel. 

I may have missed one or 2 items. On your build sheet it should list the custom option Z03 for "custom" equipment. 

Hope this helps. 

Welcome to the club and forums, Jeff!  Wow, a "W" code '72 with the Z03 Custom package - what a rare and lucky find! 

The "Custom" was not a unique model in '72, but rather a package of 10 RPOs (listed in the following LINK - two without RPO numbers) just as the "SS 454" (Z20) was a package of 8 RPOs (one of which was the LS5 454 engine) was for '70 and '71. However, there is only one RPO that is common to both packages, F41 Special Performance Suspension.  You could order any engine with the Z03 Custom package so you are lucky to find one with a 454 (assuming you like big block power, of course).

One of our members (Doug @ 72-CLASSIC_RIDE) maintains a database of '72 Customs that you may want to review and enter your Custom's data in. 

Enjoy the club and your new ride!

Hi Jeff,

I also have a 72 Custom I have been logging info for these cars in order to understand just how many serviceable 72 Customs are on the road today.  My Data Base has 43 identified to date.  I try and get the VIN # in order to prevent duplication and would love to add yours if I do not already have it listed on the Data Base.  Under the ss454 Thread you will find at the top  72 MC CUSTOM NUMBERS, my latest Post in that Thread is the latest info and is REV. 12 dated 3/27/20.  Can you provide me that info (again if I haven't already added it) including what ammenities, Color and the like to further identify it.

You can either reply here to my request or PM (private Message) me if your a Dues Paying Member.

Much appreciated  :)

Doug