headlight switch removal

rsorg

guys ,the pull knob for my headlights need to be replaced is there a step by step on how to replace this part in an owners manual ,thanks

Roger,

The knob is firmly attached to a stem that is held in the switch housing by a small retainer plunge pin on the inboard side of the switch housing behind the face of the dash.  That little plunger must be pushed in toward the housing and held while you pull the knob and stem out of the housing.  The only way I know to access that small plunger is by removing the dash pad.  There should be no need to remove the switch housing if it is working and doesn't need to be replaced.  You should be able to stick your hand in from the top (after removing the dash pad) and find the small plunger between the switch housing and the instrument cluster.  Press and hold it in while pulling the knob and stem straight out like you were turning on the lights.  I have had the stem come out quickly and easily and I have had to struggle to get it out - not sure what the difference was - but it should eventually pull out.  

Once you have a new knob/stem assembly, just push the stem all the way back in and it will seat itself - no need to press the plunger when doing so.  Good luck.

Picture of my 71 HL Switch. See the small button with a spring around it, that it what you need to push in and hold, then pull out the HL Switch knob and shaft. Mine was very very hard to remove! Good luck.

207065704_IMG_0320(1).thumb.JPG.28f9fd5a8b06165f263705f936d1616a.JPG

guys thanks for the info, i guess i should have been a little better in my explanation , i took my car for a ride the other day and when i shut my door a small chunk of white  porclian came out from under the dash , i believe it is part the switch, that knob goes thru, thanks roger

Here is a picture of the switch from my 71. If you replace it, there are more than one and you need the correct one for everything to work. Something about the number of pins 7 on mine and a connector connecting two of the pins.

BruceIMG_0375.thumb.JPG.4b73e622824f7a4d1eed1b2a69952a8e.JPG