A new wiring issue...

70chev

So I took the Monte out for a cruise today. It was finally warm enough where I didn't need the heater so I had the fan switch shut off.

When I went to turn the car off, the Gen light came on like normal but the car continued to run. It wasn't until I turned the fan switch speed down one spot then the car will shut off.

I did just redo the HEI distributor power last week. (See post on main electrical page)

Any ideas on what that might be? The ignition switch was replaced last year. The car still has the original voltage regulator...

Thanks! 🤯

20200430_121606.jpg

3 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

Remove the AC fuse under the hood on the cowl then see if the problem persists.

Paul, No AC unfortunately....

I did not follow your diagram exactly.....I ran the main power line from the junction box near the battery on the front instead of the battery cable. I wonder if it is backfeeding power....

Will move it to the battery cable tomorrow and see.....

If you ran the ignition relay feed from the positive junction block at the battery, it's fine and can stay there.

So, it's a non-AC car, OK.

When you installed the relay for the HEI, where did you find a trigger for the relay coil?

9 minutes ago, Paul Bell said:

If you ran the ignition relay feed from the positive junction block at the battery, it's fine and can stay there.

So, it's a non-AC car, OK.

When you installed the relay for the HEI, where did you find a trigger for the relay coil?

Only changes I made from the diagram was running the power to the junction box instead of the battery cable, and the fuseable link is up on the firewall instead of down near the battery. 

I ran the wire to the IGN spot in the fuse box. I believe that is what you are asking correct?

6 minutes ago, Paul Bell said:

OK. Pull the heater fuse and see if the problem goes away.

Did the car do this before you installed the better feed for the HEI?

Nope this started after I added that relay. Will try the heater fuse suggestion. Also may try running a new wire from the ign spot in the box right to the distributor like before just to see if it works correctly. 

So I found this information on a Chevelle site. This is exactly what it is doing. Sounds like I need a diode. Does this sound right? 

Screenshot_20200501-065246_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-065310_Chrome.jpg

Number 4 pin, brown wire off the regulator...

#NTE116 diode that is part number someone suggested 

Might just get this one... has all the connections provided 

Screenshot_20200501-085104_Chrome.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem when I was running electric fans. The fans rotating inertia would be enough to have them become generators when i turned off the key switch, and it would backfeed into the fuse box and keep the ignition powered up. I suspect your fan blower is doing the same thing. A diode fixed it for me. For my situation, a small diode placed between the positive feed for the fan, and the ground wire for the fan fixed it. When the fan is on, the diode prevents current from going to ground, but when the fan was shut off and its polarity reversed, the diode would dump the power back to the positive side and short out that action. It only worked momentarily when the key was shut off, and didn't have to carry the full 30amps the fan would require.

Edited by wallaby
not brevity