Door hinge question

Hi, I wasn’t going to restore my door hinge on drivers side as it opens and closes fine.  I was cleaning it up for paint, noticed the pin and “guide” seems to be out of place, is it out of place?  If so, I will need to get replacement.

D6A56B71-3652-4312-857E-E5E656FD0D89.jpeg

DC32A6A1-A30E-42BF-A959-62126F15F1A5.jpeg

Now would be the time to do it.  I don't know the proper name of it but may refer to it as a door hinge detent roller.

rob

It's bad. I got a replacement hinge/roller kit from 'Inline Tube', via ebay. (the seller name listed is their ebay store front)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-71-72-GM-A-Body-Complete-2-Door-Hinge-Repair-Kit-Chevelle-GTO-442-NOS/390744275120?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Thanks, how easy is it to replace them?

Ehh, not terrible really.  But you need to remove the spring (I already had the tool for that). I didn't use the push nuts they supply to hold the pins in, I just give it a little zap with the TIG welder. To get the old pins out, you can just file down where they formed the pin to keep it from falling out & just use a punch to drive it out.

Cheaper than buying the hinge assembly complete unless you have severe metal to metal wear in places or your bushing holes are egg shaped due to wear. One of mine was worn like that, but I just filled that with a little welding as well & drilled it to size to accept the new bushings.

Here is a pic of the spring tool. Not an endorsement for this particular tool or site, but you get the picture. Everyone sells them at all different prices.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W84603-Door-Spring/dp/B0187IOXJA

Thanks Joe for the links - I already have the pins kit from Parts Place as I ordered the roller ones as well as the spring door tool from Amazon.

Rob - thanks for your suggestion in other thread that I'll reuse my springs, now will work on taking them apart 😀

Sounds good Rick. If you get in a jam (need welding, etc), send them out to me & I'll put them together for you. (hopefully I may be going home by the 18th of May from preliminary reports, but it's all out of our hands)