Testing fuel and temperature gauges

Mike

Hi folks. I am about to embark on freshening up my 1970 dash. Most of my lights are out, temp, fuel, and amp gauges do not work. Never have in the 10 years I have owned the car. Some cheesewhiz pulled out the factory clock and put in an LED Clock at some time. That doesnt work either, and it looks stupid. Not sure if they botched up all the gauges at that time, so I would like to be able to test them. Should I be able to just run 12v thru a potentiometer and sweep the needle with the varying voltage? It would seem to be ok for the temp and fuel at least. NOt sure if there is a better way. THanks much. 

I'd wait for clarification on someone more knowledgeable but this is from my old blue oval days. If you ground the plug for the "gauge" at the sender and turn the key on for a moment the "gauge" should peg. For example fuel gauge should peg full. This is for your fuel and temp "gauges". I use the " " just to emphasize gauges not the indicator (or affectionately called idiot lights) I believe there was a post here somewhere in the past about amp gauges, and if I remember correctly the comment was don't waste your time with that one lol. The ground test basically tests all your wiring to the IP from the sender.