New member 1970 owner

70MC402

Hello. Im Rick, 25, auto mechanic as a profession. I bought a 1970 monte carlo about 3 and a half years ago, been slowly working on modifying/rebuilding the car. 

When i bought my monte it was non running, purchased from a local private owner. Since purchasing it ive rebuilt the engine, been through the front and rear suspension and the steering. Added headers and a pypes exhaust system. Hope to learn alot from everyone here!   

FB_IMG_1589250909930.jpg

FB_IMG_1589250895410.jpg

FB_IMG_1589251015800.jpg

FB_IMG_1589250943775.jpg

FB_IMG_1589250935012.jpg

FB_IMG_1589250922652.jpg

20180328_145620.jpg

FB_IMG_1589250914712.jpg

20180328_145607.jpg

20200428_203959.jpg

FB_IMG_1589250996874.jpg

FB_IMG_1589250983461.jpg

FB_IMG_1589250975219.jpg

20190913_165651.jpg

• Like 4

Im currently going through the audio system. The car originally had the Mono radio with the single front dash speaker and the right rear only speaker, im adding a second rear speaker and installing a 2 speaker setup that mounts in the factory mono mount. Im trying to find a replacement radio as my car doesnt have a radio in it now. Are there any good sources for original 9 pin radios or any decent aftermarket radios? I ordered one from OPGI and im not impressed at all, it'll be going back. 

Are you looking for an original radio or aftermarket. I found an original on ebay and had rebuilt. I wanted to go with the  original am 8track. Someone here on the forum also had there radio sent to someone that adds all the bluetooth and digital features to the radio. I believe that was about 700. 

7 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Are you looking for an original radio or aftermarket. I found an original on ebay and had rebuilt. I wanted to go with the  original am 8track. Someone here on the forum also had there radio sent to someone that adds all the bluetooth and digital features to the radio. I believe that was about 700. 

I am either looking for an original AM/FM stereo or an aftermarket. I wouldnt really need Bluetooth. Aux would be nice but not a deal breaker. 

Welcome, Rick!  Glad to see a young guy who appreciates a classic car twice his age!!  You chose a great car to sink your time and resources into!   A '70 Monte 402 was my first new car out of college - loved that car!  I'll bet yours is fun to drive with a rebuilt big block and probably sounds pretty wicked, too.  Thanks for posting photos of your sweet ride.  Sounds like you've got all the mechanical upgrades covered.  Enjoy the rest of the journey and the club!

welcome nice car I bought custom auto sound to fit dash looks good sounds ok has xtra capabilities there is different part numbers for Chevelle and monte carlo  had some problems at first probably wont buy from custom auto sound again

12 hours ago, bob 71 said:

…..had some problems at first probably wont buy from custom auto sound again

What kind of problems Bob, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a 740 unit as I'm getting close to putting the dash back in the car soon.

sorry joe for taking so long Chevelle radio and monte carlo radio fit differently. first radio I bought from luttys I think 620 or 630 was for a Chevelle went back and forth with luttys and custom auto sound found the correct radio and got luttys to exchange. put in the next radio would cut out bad reception called CAS got the run around. was walkihg thru Syracuse nationals found CAS booth talked face to face with rep he gave me a number to talk to some body higher up in the food chain finally got it handled this radio fair reception using factory windshield antenna all this took about 8-9 months

Thanks Bob. I saw one of their 'slide radios' on a TV car show, but it wasn't listed as a fit for the Monte. Called them up and they confirmed that the radios are different for regular Chevelle's vs. the Monte/Chevelle with the 'SS' style dash like we have. The reception issue would suck. What did they do to remedy the problem?

I was considering a CAS unit at one time and even had a 50% off coupon but heard too many issues from others who had a CAS unit.  Some people are happy with them and some are not. I ultimately purchased a modern Alpine unit and hid it in the car. The sound quality is great and did not cost as much as CAS.

I have a great Pioneer DIN sized unit in my Z/28 (cut hole in spare dash), and love it. Was trying to avoid doing it in the Monte right now, but I'm certainly not opposed to it. Spoke with Leo K. a while back and he would send out a dash to cut up, so that's not an issue. I already have the stock dash painted and assembled though, so may try the CAS 740 unit. If it turns out bad, I'll be back to b**ch about it :cry:

I did not cut a hole in my dash. I mounted the modern unit in a hidden location I use an IR extender so I can use the remote even though the Alpine unit is not in view.