Question about LS swap process

MC_Rudy

For the guys who have already done a LS swap on their Montes I have a few questions.  I am looking to switch over to a 6.0L and 4L80E, but my Monte is still has the factory set.

1) Did upgrade your front brakes and rotors because of the LS swap? If so, did you have to switch over to a bigger rim and tire?

2) Did you have to change out your cross-member to run dual-exhaust?

3) Is there a setup with the 4L80, whether it a long shaft or normal, that will allow me to use my current drive shaft?

1. Not necessary.

2. Your crossmember is set up for dual exhaust from the factory. Holley and Speed Engineering headers fit perfectly into the stock exhaust cutouts. You may have to buy a new crossmember or modify your stock crossmember for the 4L80E though.

3. Which transmission do you have right now? I don't think the 4L80E is close to either the TH350 or TH400. The stock driveshaft isn't all that large for its length. A new, stronger driveshaft would be around $400. 

12 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

1. Not necessary.

2. Your crossmember is set up for dual exhaust from the factory. Holley and Speed Engineering headers fit perfectly into the stock exhaust cutouts. You may have to buy a new crossmember or modify your stock crossmember for the 4L80E though.

3. Which transmission do you have right now? I don't think the 4L80E is close to either the TH350 or TH400. The stock driveshaft isn't all that large for its length. A new, stronger driveshaft would be around $400. 

Currently I have 350/th350 in the car now.  Are there companies that make driveshafts for this purpose (ready to ship with the correct specs) or will I have to measure?  My main concern is having to go out and find a yoke from whatever vehicle I get the 4L80E out of and have it mated to a driveshaft especially if I have to buy a new one. 

You will have to measure. You can buy a new yoke from the driveshaft supplier, they need it to balance the driveshaft. Suppliers may all look for something slightly different when measuring but this is the basic process:

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/app/webroot/img/File/how_to_measure_diagrams/b.html

When I had mine made I used it as an excuse to go to 1350 u-joints in the front and rear.