Floor Shifter to Tunnel Mounting Hardware

monte70z20

I took my floor shifter out today and the screws mounting it to the Tunnel were two different sizes. 2 on the driver's side were approx an 1" long and the two on the passenger side look to be 1/2" long (see picture).  I can't find sizes in the Service Manual and the assembly manual doesn't show a good picture of them.  The short ones don't seem to fit well (the shifter was mounted over the carpet).  Anybody tell me if this is correct?  Also couldn't find them to buy on any of the usual sites but saw these for a Camaro/Firebird and wondered if they'd fit if I have to replace them.

DSC_3775.JPG

Hey John. 

The shifters in our fleet all have the short style bolt bolting the shifter to the floor. Main thing is all the floor shifter cars we have, have the carpet under the console is cut out/ missing from the factory. The shifter is bolted directly to the floor.

You can reuse the bolts you have. The only issue is if the long ones interfered with something like the driveshaft, which it obviously did not. 

John, what you linked to on the Camaro site are rivnuts. You drill a hole, insert the nut then tighten down hard on them until they collapse and stay in place.

I used stainless sidewalk bolts poked up from the bottom. They have a very wide very flat head.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=sidewalk+bolts&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Thanks guys for your quick reply.  This is very helpful.

Paul:

I am assuming you poked them through the bottom then used a nut inside the car to tighten them down.  Is this correct?

Sidewalk or “hurricane” bolts are normally used to hold down decking that people are gonna walk on. They have extremely flat heads with beveled edges that’s difficult for shoes to get caught on.

Also, for commercial buildings, threaded anchors are placed in the concrete around entrances and sidewalk bolts are installed to keep the threads clean. The anchors allow things such as temporary banners or barriers to be bolted down without drilling new anchor points.

• 2 weeks later...