Header advice

Mike Rosebrook

First post, im a new member! Ive got a 72 that im restoring. Was 350, going to big block. Im considering side pipes but i for sure need headers suggestions. I didnt know if there would be clearance issues with the swap. New motor is a 454 block with gm performance 502 heads. Thx in advance!!

Welcome to the madness Mike, we all like to see pictures of your Monte. I've seen side pipes before (see link below) so it has been done lol. I don't know of anyone currently running side pipes. I'd start asking the side pipe company about it, for example Patriot makes side pipes and headers. Your 502 heads are probably going to be D shaped ports, they will probably want to know what trans your going to use, do you have a/c and so on. You can use the forum search option for headers and see what others have posted for their set ups. The big 3 I found are you may need a mini starter, your may need to address proportioning valve clearance and steering column lockout clearance. 

https://www.vegasmusclecars.com/1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo-c-1824.htm

You don't have to worry much about the "D" shaped ports if you have them. Those are just like a round port with a raised floor, so the round header pipe ends up dipping a bit lower than the actual port. Round port gaskets work fine.

beyond the ground clearance issue, another problem is going to be the header length. A full-length header is going to reach back beyond the bellhousing, and side pipes are going to begin forward of that, under the front fender. I have seen some creative exhaust U-turns made under there to make it all work, but it's restrictive and concentrates a lot of heat right under the floorboard where you want it least.

If you want to go the sidepipe route, I'd be looking for a shorty header. Those dump ahead of the bellhousing flange, so exhaust plumbing would be much easier.

another consideration is backpressure. Some sidepipes have quiet mufflers built in, and they can be very restrictive. I had a set back in the 80's that flowed so poorly that my big block couldn't flow enough air to open my Q-jet secondaries. I would love to have a set of the Hooker header sidepipes they make for corvettes. They look so pretty, but are too short to fill the space between the wheels on a Monte. I guess one could get the painted ones, cut them up and weld in an extension, then have them jet hot coated... it all started to sound like the hard way.