Rear control arm bushing replacement

Has anyone here reused the sleeves that are pressed in? Or are you guys removing them? I'm on the fence about it. I plan on going with Energy Suspension bushings throughout. 

The sleeves must be removed from the control arm.  They are part of the bushings. The new bushings will come with an inner sleeve, an outer sleeve and rubber in between.  Look at the pictures of the new replacement bushings.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

I've always removed the shell. You can cut some spacers to fit inside the control arm so you don't crush the stamped steel when you are removing or reinstalling them. I usually use angle iron.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I'm pressing in my new lower control arm bushings. Are both control arms supposed to be pressed in the same direction? Or does each control arm face a different direction?   

IMG_1306.JPG

They only fit one way, the holes are different sizes on each side. You should see the step on the bushing shell as well. So yes, they'll both go in from the same side.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jft69z said:

They only fit one way, the holes are different sizes on each side. You should see the step on the bushing shell as well. So yes, they'll both go in from the same side.

Thank you Joe I just figured that out.. It was late last night. LOL! 

Figured you would, LOL. Like a square peg in a round hole :grin:.

Plenty of late nights here as well, it certainly takes its toll.

• Like 1

Are you using rubber or poly bushings?

If using poly, you need to use their lube between the inner tube and the bushing material. (the outside of the inner tube). No lube needed for rubber bushings.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:38 PM, wallaby said:

Are you using rubber or poly bushings?

If using poly, you need to use their lube between the inner tube and the bushing material. (the outside of the inner tube). No lube needed for rubber bushings.

I'm using poly bushings (Energy Suspension). Yup I've also got them all lubed up. Years ago I put them on my 454ss truck and after I was all done I noticed a pack of grease (which I forgot to use). The story of my life.. LOL!