For those w/ fiberglass hoods....

AL M

Sam, Robyn, Bill, Andreas and Phil (probably a lot of others too)...what hood springs are you guys using and where did you purchase them?. I'm using pins pushed through the hinge right now to keep it open and thats all good, but I would like to go with proper springs....AL

I actually used my factory hood springs for awhile, they would hold the hood up no problem and as I lowered it I could stop and it would stay securely at any angle...but what I didn't like was when it was all the way up and when I pulled on it to get it going down it took too much effort and that's when the stress on the hood was at it's greatest, thus the need for lighter springs.

I wish I would of weighed my hood but it has to be a little heavier than your hood Al. I purchased these springs from Summit Racing, they are their heaviest springs for a fiberglass hood I was told...for the record they are the same color, I don't know why in the picture they are different.

My hood stays up no problem but I wish these springs were a little stiffer as once you begin to lower it the hood goes down a little too easy.

I will admit I had my hood open at a show at a bad angle to the wind and it was gusting pretty hard...I was afraid to walk away fearing it was gonna slam shut...but it never happened and I now trust these springs in any circumstance.

Bill

Bill, thanks for that info....If I went with those springs I could still use the pins in the hinge as insurance.....Were you able to stretch the springs on by hand??

The hood and springs were on the car when I bought it. I use a rod (it came with the car too) to hold the hood up otherwise it would take your hand off like Christine, it's kind of a pain in the rear half the time I lift the hood up then have to put it down to go get the rod out of the backseat.

Were you able to stretch the springs on by hand??

Yes, I was able to do it by hand, no tools... wink

Bill

i use these springs with my glastek hood. no problem, only on very windy day or when the car is running then i have to add the pin through the hinges to keep it open.

thanh

Those are the same ones I listed... grin

So where are these pins inserted as you and Al have mentioned, did you have to drill a hole or something?

Bill

Steve(Monteman1971)came up with the plan..he drilled a small hole right above the foward most rivet on the hinge right above where it moves..I went to ace hardware and purchased a quick release set of pins.. the pins have a little ball on the end to ensure that they dont back out and a ring to push/pull them in and out..They were $3 a piece...I bought 3/8 pins but they were clearly too big so I returned them to get the smaller ones 1/4 x 1 1/4 fit the bill...Phil, I recommend that you do this and put the rod to rest....I ordered the springs that you recommended Bill...thanx again!!

I have the light weight hood so I cant use springs... pin on only... I have lost a few pins because I take them off then start the car and maybe drive it with the hood off testing something... sucks getting new pins all the time... really sucks haveing to take the hood off and put it back on everytime I want to do something to the engine... will really suck when I paint it and cant just throw the hood on the roof smile Oh well thats the price you pay to save a few more pounds... smile

Havent forgotten to put the pins back in after I put the hood on... that would really suck!!

Tom

Guest 72yellowmc

I use a prop stick, some how I lost the original hood latch mechanism during one of our moves... crazy so I have to use the tie down pins which is probably a good idea anyway.

img0711di4.jpg

Think I'll try the springs, Robyn are you getting tired of that prop stick yet? Makes a good weapon though, is that thing steel like mine?

Al, are you gonna install hood pins?

I know they suggest it, but when using the hood latch mechanism I really don't see why though.

In my case I have the hood latch and I installed hood pins for extra saftey as my car sees high speeds.

img0860nh5.jpg

Guest 72yellowmc
Think I'll try the springs, Robyn are you getting tired of that prop stick yet? Makes a good weapon though, is that thing steel like mine?

Nope mine is a fiberglass hood made by glasstek. And messing with that prop stick does su## sometimes.. blush

Bill, I wasnt planning on using hood pins cause the hood seems to be super solid when shut...but the thought of the hood popping up has crossed my mind..I thank Steve L. for planting that seed in my head...lol. He did cut out a rectagular box so the safety latch can grab the underside of the hood if it does pop...Hopefully it never will..Robyn and Phil, your right...the stick is a great weapon..just make sure that after you knock someone out with it, you put it in their hand..lol

Stock springs here. I tried using the springs recommended by VFN, but they were to stiff. My worn stock springs seem to work pretty good, but I don't like the initial stress on the hood when trying to close it. It's like the stock springs were to weak for the factory hood, but a little to stiff for the cowl hood. I think hood springs for a cowl hood are a crap shoot.

Bad news guys, the HAR-210 Harwood springs just arent strong enough...Got them on by hand with a little effort and now I cant get them off with my bum shoulder....I guess I'll be sending them back soon..or maybe one of you with a lighter hood want them..Let me know...Al

Bummer... frown

I can't remember, what did you say your fiberglass hood weighs?

I'm just curious, I'll be taking "mine" back off soon for some work and maybe this time I will remember to weigh it before I put it back on, but still I would have thought mine was heavier... crazy

Bill

The hood is 58 lbs...its no light weight.....I know I offered it to anyone interested but I got a fire under my butt and already went to the post office to send them back..The search continues....AL

Originally Posted By: 71monteme
i use these springs with my glastek hood. no problem, only on very windy day or when the car is running then i have to add the pin through the hinges to keep it open.

thanh

Those are the same ones I listed... grin

So where are these pins inserted as you and Al have mentioned, did you have to drill a hole or something?

Bill

bill.

a>[/img]

yup open hood drill 1/4" hole for pin.

thanh