Holley carb and air cleaner?

DragCat

Ok so my stock air cleaner will not fit on the holley 4160 carb. I thought I could google some kind of spacer but no luck. I know I could just get a new "round" air cleaner but was hoping to use the stock one, I like the look. Anybody here ran across this, found a work around ? 

Yes, you can cut/ bend the two little triangles that center the original aircleaner  on the Rochester carb. Or you can find a filter housing that works for you. On my 70 SS I purchased the repo of the 70 SS Camaro dual snorkel air cleaner with painted lid. It also can be purchased with a chrome  lid.

IMG_0124.JPG

Hey Tom, not sure what "triangles your speaking of. I just looked under mine and its flat all the way around except for the clip for the vacuum line. Maybe mines not an original. From what it looks like the bottom on the aircleaner hits the fuel adjusting nuts / lock screw on both front and back and keeps it from lowering onto the carb. 

Ahhhh. Lol. You then can get spacers to raise your air cleaner like Leghome said. I got some of those also but went with the new repo assy. I think I got an assortment of spacers, plastic from summit I believe. 

You could also mark where the float level adjusting nuts hit your air cleaner and drill/hole saw a hole for clearance. 

The triangles I refer to are at the front of the aircleaner that I thought were interfering with the Holley air horn/choke. They hold the air filter assy onto the Rochester carb so the air horn stays facing the direction needed. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I did think of using a hole saw last night, and i'll double check summit and or jegs for the spacer to see what they have. The instructions (yea I read those) say part # 17-13 but thats for 4165/4175 carbs. Maybe i'll call them today. I think when I pulled the part # and saw 5 inch spacer I kinda said whoa, I don't need to raise it 5 inches.  Just checked, its a 17-14 for the 4150/4160 carbs. Looks like another summit order for me today lol

Ordered the 17-14 and it didn't do the job so it will go back, still hits the float level nuts. My buddy had an old drop bottom "in stock" with a pretty nice 2 piece filter combo which dropped right in, and no linkage obstructions lol. I'm not 100% sold on the look but for now the air cleaner is off my check list. In the future on a rainy day I may take a 1/2 drill for the float level nuts access and see if I can't manipulate the stock air cleaner to fit. As ive mentioned before, probably nobody will see or care about it but it will irk me a tad lol. 

AirCleaner.jpg

Thanks, the 17-14 was a 3/4 raise and i'll guesstimate it was still 1/8 to short. I haven't given up the thought, just moved it further down the priority list lol