POWER WINDOWS

John,

I've not had that problem but I refurbished all of the switches and their connectors before I installed factory power windows in my '70 (I made a photo journal of that project at this LINK if you are interested).  I suspect the connector to the driver's master switch simply needs to be cleaned and tightened up and it is not difficult to do but takes some care and patience.  You don't even have to remove the door panel to do it, just pop the master switch out of it's door panel housing and separate it from its connector (should be easy if it is already loose).

As you can see in the photos, with the exception of the center locator pin, each of the pins on the master switch insert into a spring-clip wire terminal housed inside the black plastic connector body. Those terminals need to grip their respective switch connector pins securely for good electrical conductivity and to maintain a secure physical connection with the master switch.  If you use a thin, sharp-pointed tool (scribe, awl or straight pick), you can close the spring clips just enough while pulling gently on its respective wire to remove it from the connector housing. 

Once you have it out, you can clean it inside with a small, rolled-up piece of fine emery paper and crimp it down just enough to give a good friction fit to a pin in the switch body.  When the spring clip is cleaned and reshaped, just push it back into its correct location in the connector housing.  I suggest doing them one at a time or taking a photo before you start to be sure you get all of the wires back in the correct location.

Now is the best time to use some emery paper to brighten up each of the pins on the back of the master switch also.  You may find that this simple fix also improves the speed and operation of any/all of the windows as good electrical conductivity is essential. Good luck.

434.JPG

427.JPG

436.JPG

440.JPG

441.JPG

P3142497.JPG

Hey Dennis,

Great pictures and info on these plugs.  Thanks for posting.

I was also going to say that maybe the power window wires/harness are not routed properly inside the door and when the regulator/glass move up and down it is contacting the harness and causing the plug to come loose.  I would also make sure the harness never comes in contact with any moving parts.

Mike