TH400 fluid amount?

DragCat

Just looking for some verification, couldn't find the spec in my shop manual. Jegs had a graph for the 400 it takes 6 quarts and a 10 inch converter takes 3. When I installed the trans I put 1/2 in the converter and 4 in the trans. It hasn't been outta park since I fired the crate up and its time to top it off. I know I have to have the rear wheels off the ground, engine running, and trans in neutral when adding the rest. I don't know how much if any is left in the cooler, so if the graph is correct I should be able to add 3, then add slowly more while checking levels on the dipstick? 

A stock th400 shallow pan takes 12qts with stock converter. With a deep pan, 14qts with stock converter.

I always add 4qts before starting car. Once started add a total of 10 qts (6 more) and start checking the level from there. All depends on the converter size you use. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, at least i'm on the right track of NOT having fluid all over the floor lol. Paul thats pretty much the same chart I found on the jegs site. I got a case of fluid with the rebuild so i'm good