New person new toy. 71 SS

Dtret

Thanks to all. I am pretty pumped about it. All numbers matching engine,carburetor and transmission. It’s got a really plain interior bench seat no tach. But it still has the am 8 track power windows and locks. The car ,from what I can see, has never been apart. I don’t know if the Rearend is a match yet but it is a 12 bolt. I have all the original interior so I am going to box it up and put in bucket seat interior but still keep it blue 

• Like 1

Welcome !!! Best of luck with your new Monte. Love your choice of colors, I own a Mulsanne blue,blue interior, suppose to have a white top but was removed during restoration 71 SS. Keep the pictures coming.

KIMG0854.JPG

That may not be the exact color. Trim tag says ascot blue. But it gives me some hope for the future. I think the ascot is a little lighter but I’m learning 

So I fired it up today (first time in years) and it’s leaking antifreeze out the transmission converter shield. Well frost plug or cracked block. I pulled the transmission and found a cracked flexplate and a rusted frost plug (wheeew) but look at the sludge in the motor  Black like oil but it’s not  

08ACAD4E-7D82-45DE-BF05-8A8D1F48A846.jpeg

965ECE2C-C3EA-4495-A819-03EEA09C7440.jpeg

0ED425B5-C01F-4740-8F5F-0157BFF7BA2C.jpeg

BB002E23-CF41-42BE-8AE0-E6F0FC55923C.jpeg

I found a DuPont 1970 GM color chart (2 Pages, ft and back) and scanned it. Sorry it's 1970 and not 1971 but it may help and it's free!!! Click on this link to view.

https://1971montecarlo.wordpress.com/2020/06/07/1970-gm-paint-colors-and-codes-from-dupont/

Oh my, Another BBC Monte Carlo. Does it have the power bench seat? Looks to me someone has been in the crankcase? One nicely optioned '71. Can't believe no tach dash.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

Hi and thanks. Very very plain interior. The only options ordered were power windows,locks and am 8 track ( yes still there). The guy I bought it from put a new oil pump in it. Engine will be gone through anyway so no problem. 

I found it on Facebook and it was in Champaign. He was the third owner but was best friends with the second owner who knew the original owner really well. Kinda makes me feel like an outcast. The guy that I bought it from is really into muscle car and normally doesn’t sell his cars but he started the body work 10+ years ago and finally figured out recently that he had to many other projects to do and he wasn’t going to finish it. So he posted it. Sorry for the long story to a question that needed a one word answer. I get carried away sometimes 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the new frost plug is in the flexplate and trans are in (man I miss my lift). All is now good there. It’s on to all the electrical issues and now most of that is good. Still trying to get all the dash lights to work but I needed to do something to prove to myself that I actually accomplished something so I had the rally’s blasted and powder coated and put a set of bfg’s on(the visual things help motivation)sometimes it’s just the little things. All this works just to tear it back down seems senseless but for me it works

909814F8-047E-43D9-912F-973C77E10F88.jpeg

66B9C2EB-3389-4E11-A926-B9B1B0AEA1D0.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks but it’ll be a loooooong project. Funds dictate progress. I am going to do a complete frame off as true to original as possible minus the obvious parts we can’t get anymore ( exhaust. Gardner). The interior will be changed to tach and gauges and buckets as correct as possible for 71. I will probably start a new post at some point as by that time I won’t be a newbie anymore. Thanks for the interest

Dennis

• Like 3