Air Leveling Valve Cleanup Question

1Bad454

Has anybody disassembled their air leveling valve to clean it up? I would like to make mine look new again but I'm not sure if it can be immersed in water or taken apart (mounting bracket etc.). 

18 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

Has anybody disassembled their air leveling valve to clean it up? I would like to make mine look new again but I'm not sure if it can be immersed in water or taken apart (mounting bracket etc.). 

Yes, although I disassembled it only far enough to clean the exterior surfaces.  I did not take the entire valve apart.  I took quite a few photos but did not complete a photo journal of that project.  As I recall, the primary task was to remove all of the black POR-15 that had been sprayed on the valve when the whole undercarriage was sprayed by a prior owner.  As you may know, there are very few solvents that will dissolve POR-15.  I used some lacquer thinner and a really stiff brush on the softer body parts and cleaned the steel arm, connecting linkage and air line connectors on my wire-wheeled grinder. 

While your's may not have anything as nasty as POR-15 on it, I doubt I would submerge it in water to clean it.  However, if the line connectors were off so the internals of the valve were exposed to road dust and water, it might be wise to inspect and clean the inside of the valve as well as the outside.  Happy scrubbing!

PA201553.JPG

PA201556.JPG

PA201557.JPG

PA201559.JPG

PA201560.JPG

PA201563.JPG

PA201573.JPG

PA201576.JPG

1 hour ago, overdrive said:

The valves have oil in them. That's how the delay works. New valves are still available from the oem, Dayton Air Suspension and Control Products. 

https://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/

Dan

Wow that's great info Dan. Thank you sir!

Ronnie 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MCfan said:

Yes, although I disassembled it only far enough to clean the exterior surfaces.  I did not take the entire valve apart.  I took quite a few photos but did not complete a photo journal of that project.  As I recall, the primary task was to remove all of the black POR-15 that had been sprayed on the valve when the whole undercarriage was sprayed by a prior owner.  As you may know, there are very few solvents that will dissolve POR-15.  I used some lacquer thinner and a really stiff brush on the softer body parts and cleaned the steel arm, connecting linkage and air line connectors on my wire-wheeled grinder. 

While your's may not have anything as nasty as POR-15 on it, I doubt I would submerge it in water to clean it.  However, if the line connectors were off so the internals of the valve were exposed to road dust and water, it might be wise to inspect and clean the inside of the valve as well as the outside.  Happy scrubbing!

PA201553.JPG

PA201556.JPG

PA201557.JPG

PA201559.JPG

PA201560.JPG

PA201563.JPG

PA201573.JPG

PA201576.JPG

Looks great Dennis!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Yeah I polished the heck out of the plate and screws on the other side then realized after that nobody would ever see them. LOL!

41 minutes ago, Dtret said:

It’s all about self satisfaction. Looks awesome. I hope I have that kind of patience when I start mine

It only took me about a week (a few hours each day). LOL!