fuel gauge

dave m

hi i am still trying to get my gas gauge to work.   dropped the dash pulled the cluster   i thought i did not have a good ground  made new ground no luck.

how can i check the gauge out of the car; I do not have an extra sending unit    the sending unit to cluster plug reads ohms;  also power to gauge works.  the gauge was new 10 yrs ago  but never worked.   i have been playing with this for weeks now     thanks

one last thing this is an ss dash conversion from 10yrs ago  it has no resitor on back i have been told the new gauges have it internal????

good news   I figured it out.    I knew my sending unit was working , I took a spare battery grounded it to the car used the wire from the car sender did ground to the ground on the gauge out of the car and hot the gauge in the dash still did not work  but my old big gauge did.. I then took the new gauge ou of the dash hooked it up and it worked..  the answer the sending stud on the gauge was touching the dash housing,, i enlarged the holes in the dash housings used the insulator and bolted the gauge in place with no contact to the housing.  I did the same process for my new volt gauge.  all will go back together soon

thanks

bad news   i fried the circuit board    new one on the way

We need to watch out for the left ft speaker touching the printed circuit also.

Replacement speakers can probably be a big problem.

yes your right i have a thin sheet of foam taped to the bottom of that speaker,  I just found a set of 4"round with 1.75 depth I am thinking of trying. they handle 50 watts I am running a amp even though i dont listen to the stereo often i keep blowing them

• 4 weeks later...

new problem   fuel gauge and volt gauge  now working.. started to bolt the dash back in place .now to find the tach now not working  it did work before i startedand when i tested everying before bolting the dash back in.  it is a new circuit board,i checked the conections and every thing seems good.  when i just; start to crank the engine i  get a quick burst of 1000 rpm   i do have msd box   i am ready to give up   

thanks dave

• Sad 1