Latest progress on the 71

TommySS454

After the floor install, took it off the rotisserie. Then promptly cut it up and made a cart to set the body on. Cut the bracing out. Now going to start measuring to cut out the toe panel on the drivers side. Bought a patch panel for it. At least it looks more like a car with a floor in it. I'm trying to keep plugging away.

IMG_20200620_172729938.jpg

IMG_20200620_174201633.jpg

IMG_20200620_173030748.jpg

IMG_20200620_114308714.jpg

IMG_20200620_172656760.jpg

• Like 4

Tommy, looks like you had a little bit of a helper that we can see in the second picture laying next to the two clamps.

rob

• Like 2

All you guys that do bodywork impress me, I have 0 talent and or skills for that stuff. I too got a kick outta the "motivation" lol, I do enjoy having a cold beer (or two) in the garage after working on my Monte. 

I have friends that can help me get the sheet metal on the car, but the final body work and paint will have to go to someone with more skills than myself.

Getting the firewall ready for the patch panel today. Ended up buying the bigger panel. The body mount was in worse shape than I thought, so I ordered one. 

IMG_20200701_144049340_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200701_193901075.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TommySS454 said:

Just thought I'd stop in to say, BUTT WELDING SHEET METAL ABSOLUTELY SUCKS..... That is all.

Yes it does, can you use panel bond in any of them spots? I've used it on a very limited level but it sure worked well where I used it.

I've heard good things about the glue but never been around it. The panel is 90 percent welded in but my little Miller mig and I are not on good terms right now.

• Haha 1

What diameter wire are you using? Also, are you just putting in tacks or are you trying to weld complete beads? Usually, I'll just tack every few inches and then just go back with another row of tacks until I complete the seam.

I'm using.023 wire and was hoping to at least weld 1 inch stitches at a time. But often times it doesn't want to strike an arc. Just pops and slobbers on itself. Then a little more voltage and it's too hot. I did some practice on scrap yesterday and maybe will have better luck.