Paul Bell

2020 After Eastern Meet thread

For anyone following the saga of the blowout....

I purchased a spare rim at the swap meet but was unable to find a proper sized tire in Carlisle or the surrounding area. Apparently 15" tires are becoming quite rare and places simply do not stock them any longer. My dad lives about 3 hours east in Warminster and was able to locate a tire at Pep Boys which was fortunately open on Sunday. After seeing the Monte caravan heading home on I78 east we made it safe and sound to Warminster and the new tire was on the rim by about 330 pm.

Upon returning home to Florida I reached out to BF Goodrich to advise them of their tire failing after approximately 250 miles of use. They pointed me towards the original tire installer as a point of contact for warrantee claims. I had contacted the installer from the road and again on Friday to ask if I needed the blown tire to make the trip home or could I scrap it and make room for a spare. They said it was okay to scrap it, no problem. Well when dealing with the BFG warrantee claim department the installer was told without the tire for inspection there would be no compensation from BFG for the incident.

Wonderful.

Luckily my tire installer agreed immediately to bite the bullet and provide me with a replacement tire at no charge if I provide the rim. So now I have to purchase yet another rim to get yet another spare tire mounted which will give me that tire and the spare rim and tire I purchased for the trip home. UGH!

I suspect my next set of tires will be Cooper Cobras.

All I have left at this point is to get the bodywork done on the quarter panel wheel well lip that was damaged by the exploding tire and I will be all set!

If anyone was wondering what I was doing at the hotel all Friday afternoon and some of Saturday, it was spent on the phone with the tire places, my original installer, my family, Pep Boys, etc. to secure a spare tire for my ride home. Next time I should be able to spend more time bench racing and less time dealing with car related issues.

Boom.jpg

That’s terrible. You are lucky that it did not damage the quarter panel further. Ironically I just got an email from BFG this morning regarding my question if they resolved the brown letter issue. In short they told me that have not corrected that issue. Looks like I’ll be buying Cooper Cobras too.

We need to start waiting until people arrive home before handing out the hard luck award... 😁

2 hours ago, cbolt said:

For anyone following the saga of the blowout....

Sorry to hear of your blowout and damage to the car but I'm glad you're not hurt.

I can't find that BFGoodrich tires have a reputation or history of having blowouts. I'd say yours was an isolated incident, probably a defect or somehow the tire had unseen damage. They're made by Michelin which is a top brand.

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

We need to start waiting until people arrive home before handing out the hard luck award... 😁

I'd just as soon NOT get the hard luck award, which is why I kept my mouth shut when Jared was taking it. B)

Jim, I guess I was so busy I did not hear about your tire issues.  I wish you had mentioned it to me.  Even if you did not want to tell the story at the meet award dinner maybe when you arrived we may have, as a club been able to make a statement to BFG on your behalf.  I hope you get this straightened out to your satisafaction.  Looking at the tire I am wondering if the shop that mounted them may have underinflated them OR they lost air during the trip..... Ya gotta love the moderend day tires and rims that have the tire inflation sensors and computer to track them.  That is one heck of a blow-out.  Sorry to hear about the damage to your beautiful car.

rob

Sorry to hear that Jim, that's awful.    I also didn't know you had a problem as I always travel with 2 spares. I sorry I missed that.

I just want to  say Thank You All !! For the great time Dan and I had at the meet!! We made it home ,no problems with the ignition or shifter. I ordered a new cable for the shifter (I know it is stretched) and should have it next week. Steering column is out, starting the steering gear changeover. That ignition switch rod keeps snapping when going from park to reverse, that may be why the switch gear broke last year when I was leaving for the Syracuse Nat'ls. I've just got finished with the N.O.S rear wheel well trim. Looks great! I never thought I would use N.O.S. on my Monte Carlo. The dash gauges will be the next item since no Nat'ls this year. I know I'll have a lot more driving time next year to enjoy what I fixed this year! Just ask'n anyone coming down with "symptoms" I'm good!!post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

7 hours ago, 420ponies said:

I just want to  say Thank You All !! For the great time Dan and I had at the meet!! We made it home ,no problems with the ignition or shifter. Just ask'n anyone coming down with "symptoms" I'm good!!post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

Jim,

As always, it was great to see you again. I am glad you had a good time.  No symptoms here, feeling fine but if I do get any and test positive or hear of anyong testing Hi I will send out a group email to those who came rather than posting here on the boards.

rob

I was parked in front of the autograph building where Carlisle Special Guest Courtney Hansen of TV Overhaulin and "The ride that got away" was signing autographs. When she was done, I asked her if she would mind taking a picture with my car and she said sure! (She was also on her way to take a picture with club member Rick Gibson).  My son wanted to know if I gave her his phone number and I also had to wipe her finger prints later on but whose complaining!

Rob did a great job on putting this historic meet together as usual and I enjoyed seeing familiar faces again and meeting new members. Great to have Kurt's original unrestored 70 SS454 on one side and Gerry's original owner 70 Monte on the other side of my car, along with all those other beautiful First Generation Montes. Good times! 

courtney hansen.jpg

Nice going Jim!!!!!        I am so jealous!!!!!!!   LOL

Had a great time with all of you. Here are the photo's we have. Will follow up with a few posts containing them. The artistic ones are from my son Brian. 

IMG_E5083.JPG

IMG_E5091.JPG

IMG_E5085.JPG

IMG_5083.JPGIMG_E5085.thumb.JPG.c66b6bdd4b9a0d4826617c1ab0338640.JPG

607A2D95-0C04-415C-80F7-C03AF5FF8D01.jpeg

46402352-7E7A-40EC-9946-152AD284ED43.jpeg