Ok, so my a/c is not blowing cold, the PO told me that he had converted the system to R134 so I went to wallymart and picked up a few cans. Fittings are still the stock fittings so my  buddies refill connector doesn't fit. Are there conversion fittings for hooking up 134 hoses to r12 connections, or do I need to drop a hundred bucks at summit for the gauge kit that has both 12 and 134 connections? 

You can buy conversion fittings to adapt 134 hoses to R12. The fittings below will work (you'll only use two of the adapters). Just made sued you snug them up with a wrench. They will leak if just hand tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-Certified-VA-LH11-R-134a-Retrofit/dp/B002G1PC4U/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=r12+to+r134a+conversion+kit&qid=1593439618&sr=8-3

I believe if you Monte was converted to R134 then those fittings should of been change. I’m sure more members will chime in.

2 minutes ago, MC-71 said:

I believe if you Monte was converted to R134 then those fittings should of been change. I’m sure more members will chime in.

Thats always a possibility, could be the PO wanted the stock look and also had the adapter fittings separate for later use. 

Do those 'cans' you got from Wallyworld have sealant in them?

Edit: Disregard-answered in the phone call :)

As I understand it, 134a refrigerant has smaller molecules than R12 and can actually escape through the original R12 hoses. When replacing R12 hoses with 134a hoses, they'll have the different fittings on them. I suspect you still have the R12 hoses and that's why the refrigerant is gone.

Three more things need to be changed:

The POA valve on top of the evaporator box;

The drier;

The condenser. The original R12 one is a single tube "serpentine" style and a 134a condenser is a multi-pass with tanks on each side. This is needed because 134a isn't as efficient as R12. Vintage Air offers an exact fit condenser/drier/tubing kit (021181) specifically for first gen Montes, no holes needed.

Also, the evaporator and compressor needed to be fully flushed.

If you go to a good AC shop, they should be able to tell you if your stuff has been correctly upgraded.

I redid my system in the spring of 2019.  I replaced all of my hose with the ones like Paul speaks of and those hoses are what is called Barrier Hoses.  Regarding the Condenser.  I did not replace mine.  I dealt with a company in Ft Worth Texas called Old Air Products and they told me using my original Condenser and Evaporator coils would be OK but I would for sure need to make sure I flush them out completely.  I removed both of them to flush them properly.  They advised me to use Denatured Acohol to flush them out.  You will have to flush them completely to make sure there is no old oil remaining in them.

Regarding me not installing a new style Condenser coil.  It was 90 degrees this past weekend at the Eastern Meet and I used the Air Conditioning going back and forth to the show field and on my 3 1/2 hour trip home and the AC kept me plenty cool with the original condenser.  I am not saying the new style would not work better, only saying it kept my Monte cool.

rob

Mark  you can buy the kit to adapt to 134 at autozone. If yoir system stood open for any lengjt of time i would replace the dryer. Your POA should be adjusted if your using 134a or eliminated.  Original air recommends you replace your condenser if your going with 134. I agree you should also.

If you do replace your dryer and its an original one or delete the POA i would be interested. i have the other 70 to assemble and i use r12.

Mark, this little thingy IMHO is a requirement on an old Vietnam War era piece of GM iron when using R134A

They run around $100 on eBay. My 70 Chevelle, 70 GS, and my Monte all have the CCOT conversions. 

It's called a POA update kit.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Thanks Joe for the phone call yesterday, and everyone else's comments. I did a forum search prior to posting my question and saw all the suggested/required parts that needed to be changed/upgraded. IT's nice to have all that info in one post now lol. Also as commented i think since the a/c blew cold when I inspected the car and now isn't blowing cold now either I have a leak (possibly created during my engine swap by me) or the 134 has slowly evacuated the system on its own terms. The $5 cans I bought at wallymart are basically the first step in seeing which direction I need to go at the moment. Not counting the $14 dollars I spent on the adapter fittings lol. Again, thanks for all the comments and I will need to address some things but a/c isn't on the top of my to do list at the moment. 

I tried to edit this earlier but got knocked out. I found the hoses Rob mentioned ( link is for reference i'm not ordering yet) and the adapter Andy mentioned on the site Rob mentioned for about the same price. I'm sure eventually i'm going to have to upgrade 

https://www.originalair.com/70-72-monte-carlo-compressor-hose-assembly-replacement-wo-muffler

Mark if its ok with you when i get back from PA would love to meet up. I drove the Monte up to the show from Miami.

30 minutes ago, imr said:

Mark if its ok with you when i get back from PA would love to meet up. I drove the Monte up to the show from Miami.

Sure Antoine, just as long as you don't wear the tie-dye shirt lol. PM me when your back in town and i'll send ya my phone number. I heard you drove all the way, your a braver man than I am ! 

7 hours ago, DragCat said:

Sure Antoine, just as long as you don't wear the tie-dye shirt lol. PM me when your back in town and i'll send ya my phone number. I heard you drove all the way, your a braver man than I am ! 

i sure did drive it. so far no problems. no complaints from the kids either. ac on the whole way

Antoine how many miles to Carlisle. I live in Port St. Lucie. My Monte is still in Connecticut but should be here soon.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:24 AM, MC-71 said:

Antoine how many miles to Carlisle. I live in Port St. Lucie. My Monte is still in Connecticut but should be here soon.

I believe i logged 1200 about. nice ride, big car so iam no crampped. i am still driving south. I am currently in South Carolina

Sounds like you and your daughters are taking a nice liesurly drive home from Carlisle.  Wish I would have had more time to talk to you and check out your Monte.  Thank you for making the long trip to Carlisle from Southern Florida.

rob

On 7/3/2020 at 9:24 PM, Rob Peters said:

Sounds like you and your daughters are taking a nice liesurly drive home from Carlisle.  Wish I would have had more time to talk to you and check out your Monte.  Thank you for making the long trip to Carlisle from Southern Florida.

rob

It was a pleasure Rob. so far we are at 3400 miles and just made it to Orlando. We visited family on the way back. Stopping in to York, Then Philly, West Virginia, and a brief stop at South of the border. We enjoyed it. Rob thank you for a wonderful event