Switching tire brands

My family has always had BFG RWL tires on my cars dating back 40 years but with the brown letters issue I’m looking to switch brands. I need tires for my 71 SS. I really like the Firestone Wide Oval radials that Coker sells but I don’t have the budget for those. Are people happy with their Cooper Cobra tires?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Canuck said:

My family has always had BFG RWL tires on my cars dating back 40 years but with the brown letters issue I’m looking to switch brands. I need tires for my 71 SS. I really like the Firestone Wide Oval radials that Coker sells but I don’t have the budget for those. Are people happy with their Cooper Cobra tires?

I'm also looking at the Wide Ovals from Coker, but man oh man....So EXPENSIVE! Also looking at the 3/8 inch white wall that Diamondback Tire makes. Just cant make up my mind though...

I swear there should be a class action lawsuit at this point with those BFG tires. Pretty much everyone is having the brown letter tire issue now.

What size tires are you looking at Canuck? I know our cars call for the G70 size, but those 60 series Wide Ovals are a better width in my opinion. I just don't want it through off my speedometer too much though...

I like the Cooper tires but I don’t like the raised white letters on them. I feel the letters are too large to my liking.

Just me.

I’m going with 235/70/15s because I want a 28 inch tall tire. This is the same height as the G78-15. I have 3.73 rear gears and I want the height to bring my RPM down slightly on the highway.

I too find the letters a little big on the Coopers but there aren’t many options.

I have never had Coopers on my Monte but when I replace tires on my regular vehicles I almost always use Copper Tires and have never had a problem with them. 

April 2007 I purchased 4 Cooper 225/70/15 thin single WSW tires from Diamond Back Classics in S.C. 888-922-1642.

I did not like the large black letters, so Diamond Back shaved then off and shipped them to me all for $416.00.

I don't think Cooper makes the single thin stripe anymore. (not that you asked about them)

Bruce

• Like 1

Hey guys check this out in regards to tires browning.

Tire sidewalls turn brown mainly because of an element added to the rubber called antiozonant. It saves tires from premature drying and cracking due to the process of oxidation. Tire browning is usually called blooming. It’s a continuing process that can be prevented by thoroughly cleaning and protecting the tires

Well there’s some of us here that can attest to the fact that they do not come clean. One member has had three sets just in the past year and all have brown letters that do not come clean.

Here is the answer I got from BF Goodrich regarding the brown letter tires. I asked if they resolved the issue and can assure me it won’t happen again.

We cannot assure you this won't happen, what we can assure you is that if happens, we will take care of it.

The source of the tires discoloration can be varied.  

One possibility is that the tires contain an anti-ozone agent in their rubber compounds to slow down the ill effects of exposure to ozone in the air.  

This anti-ozone ingredient will migrate to the surface of the rubber and leave the appearance of a brownish dust.  

The browning is the normal functioning of the anti-oxidants in the rubber that prevent ozone cracking. While it's not pretty to look at, it can likely be washed off and it is a sign that the compound is working to defend from ozone cracking. 

Other possibilities for discoloration can be simply dust that is picked up from normal driving or brake dust which is generated by the abrasion of the brake pads against the brake rotor.  

This latter condition is more prevalent when the brakes are new or have recently been relined.  

In all cases, we recommend that you continue to clean your tires with a mild soap and water. 

If the problem persists, then you would need to present the vehicle to an authorized tire dealer for inspection and have the dealer call us while you are there.

If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 888-871-4444 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. 

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich. 

• Like 1

I use futura tires from pep boys handle/ride good. I put white letters in still have some blue on letters and a lot of dirt never tried to clean. I like black side walls on alum rims on black car. I use black magic tire wet foam after washing doesn't look greasy after

I used to have BFG Radial TAs on the cars years ago (80's & 90's) and seem to remember they used to turn brown even back then. I think I used that Westley's Bleche-white on them to brighten up the letters at a friends suggestion. Worked to some degree, but they always turned brown again. I think I used brillo pads on the letters too in an effort to clean them, same results.

Must be something in the rubber they use. My Blackwell’s brown over the winter but they clean every spring and never turn brown in the summer but that might be because they get treated all summer with tire dressing

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I ended up going with the Diamond Back 3/8 inch whitewall. Took me a while to get used to whitewalls again after 25 years of running white letters but I've grown quite fond of them.

72.jpg

• Like 3

Looks perfect!

What tire brand, B.F.G. or Goodyear, Firestone?

I assume the WSW is "bonded" to the tire?

May I ask the price?

On 8/11/2021 at 6:13 PM, stangeba said:

Looks perfect!

What tire brand, B.F.G. or Goodyear, Firestone?

I assume the WSW is "bonded" to the tire?

May I ask the price?

They are Milestar and yes the WSW are bonded. Happy with the ride. They weren't cheap, right at 1200 shipped. 

I switched to Cooper tires 2 yrs. ago and have been happy them. BFG tires were old and new ones had problems with off color RWL. They were also a lot more

expensive. I got mine from Discount Tires and shipping was free.

Jay and Jenny

it's been over 18,000 miles and 14 years already since I got a set of COOPER tires with the thin WSW. I didn't like the huge letters that were on the tires and called to talk to Diamond back where they took a set of Cooper's, ground off all the huge letters and shipped them to me for less than I was going to pay a local store for the same tire (with the huge letters). Last time I looked, Cooper didn't sell these anymore.

• Like 1