New Guy in NH

BobRob

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to start mocking in the seats, shifter and console. I'm still waiting for the drivers seat and a few odds and ends but overall, pretty pleased with the the way it's looking

20201020_163831.thumb.jpg.0a5d6f948e64b749aea97b0f084a290c.jpg

Got started on the headliner also. First time I've installed one and I'm pleased with the results so far. I'm still needing a few parts to finish, namely the new seat belts, sail panels and the window gaskets. Got a hint of the original color and decided to repaint the car next year. The classic copper is just too gorgeous

40953.thumb.jpeg.aa664ed6c5175db55994e8f0f2e6d43b.jpeg

Also, cut out the rusted spots under the rear seat and welded in patches, painted and installed Dynamat.

40691.thumb.jpeg.4a61c152f4b6b440d448b0e613ec1877.jpeg

Also, I went ahead and ordered a Dakota Dash (RTX) to replace the stock instruments and a Retro Sound Laguna radio with from and rear speakers. 

Seems like every time I go out to the car to fiddle around, I find 5-10 other little things to take care of of "while I have it apart".  No biggie, summer is a ways off..

40958.jpeg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BobRob said:

Also, I went ahead and ordered a Dakota Dash (RTX) to replace the stock instruments and a Retro Sound Laguna radio with from and rear speakers. 

Seems like every time I go out to the car to fiddle around, I find 5-10 other little things to take care of of "while I have it apart".  No biggie, summer is a ways off..

It's called the snow ball effect, lol. Now's the time to do it all though.

You're going to love the D/D RTX dash. Plenty of features. Front speaker selection is important though, not a lot of room for the driver side due to the plastic gauge back housing. I shaved mine down a little, doesn't effect the operation one bit.

12 hours ago, jft69z said:

It's called the snow ball effect, lol. Now's the time to do it all though.

You're going to love the D/D RTX dash. Plenty of features. Front speaker selection is important though, not a lot of room for the driver side due to the plastic gauge back housing. I shaved mine down a little, doesn't effect the operation one bit.

More like an avalanche in my case! Fortunately, parts and materials are relatively easy to come by online. My typical weekend has me making a list of parts and materials, putting them in my online cart and ordering Sunday after dinner. By Friday, Santa Claus has come by and dropped of a box-0 goodies to keep me busy over the weekend!

I recieved an email from Dakota stating there is a lead time for the RTX of up to 12 weeks! I hope that was just a canned response to orders being placed, but if that's the reality, again no biggie, summer is a long way off! 

4 hours ago, BobRob said:

More like an avalanche in my case! 

I recieved an email from Dakota stating there is a lead time for the RTX of up to 12 weeks! I hope that was just a canned response to orders being placed, but if that's the reality, again no biggie, summer is a long way off! 

I know all about the Avalanche, lol. Like you said though, the internet is open 24/7.

Call them up, just to be safe. I got mine thru Shannon at Redline Gauge Works. He's a dealer for them and saved me a few bucks. The parts get shipped from D/D anyways, but worth a call.

8 hours ago, jft69z said:

I know all about the Avalanche, lol. Like you said though, the internet is open 24/7.

Call them up, just to be safe. I got mine thru Shannon at Redline Gauge Works. He's a dealer for them and saved me a few bucks. The parts get shipped from D/D anyways, but worth a call.

Turns out by paying up front I got put to the head of the line per the email Dakota sent, so maybe not too long. Besides, while cleaning up the dash components today, it dawned on me that the A/C vents were ratty and missing a couple vanes. So, after a bit of a Google, those are on the way along with the rest of the minor components, like lock nobs, window cranks, coat hooks etc... 

I finished installing the rest of the Dynamat on the floors today without cutting myself. A small victory while I wait for parts, yet again.

That avalanche just keeps getting bigger & bigger...😁

I'm already looking at bigger brakes for mine...

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Stop chuckling at us guys. You should feel our pain 🤪

I already did.....and if you read, my snowball is still getting bigger, hahahaha.

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

I already did.....and if you read, my snowball is still getting bigger, hahahaha.

Ya and you want to tear it apart to repaint. Sometimes you have to question if it’s really worth the pain we are putting ourselves through 

9 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ya and you want to tear it apart to repaint. Sometimes you have to question if it’s really worth the pain we are putting ourselves through 

When I retire in a year and 28 days (not that I'm counting or anything like that), the plan is to paint the car. Possibly the winter after that, who knows. 

But I agree, it is a pain with few returns except the satisfaction that we did it ourselves and it came out ok. Certainly wouldn't get what it's worth if we try to sell them, if you figured in the labor hours.

I think I like it better when I did it for other people and got paid, and got to watch them drive or be trailered away, lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jft69z said:

When I retire in a year and 28 days (not that I'm counting or anything like that), the plan is to paint the car. Possibly the winter after that, who knows. 

But I agree, it is a pain with few returns except the satisfaction that we did it ourselves and it came out ok. Certainly wouldn't get what it's worth if we try to sell them, if you figured in the labor hours.

I think I like it better when I did it for other people and got paid, and got to watch them drive or be trailered away, lol.

Ya I did work for other people and the problem I always had is once I touched the car I owned it. And they don’t leave you alone. I wouldn’t do it again if I have my choice. But the good news is tomorrow when you get off work it will only be 1 year and 27 days 

31 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ya I did work for other people and the problem I always had is once I touched the car I owned it. And they don’t leave you alone. I wouldn’t do it again if I have my choice. But the good news is tomorrow when you get off work it will only be 1 year and 27 days 

I hear you there. Luckily I had a lot of real good people I did work for. The few that were difficult, I just weeded out. Still, after decades of burning the candle at 3 ends, I stopped doing everything altogether. About a year later is when I must have got bored (stupid), and picked up the latest '72.