Ring and Pinion rust ?

DragCat

My buddy had a set 355 gears in stock but they are a tad rusty from sitting around. Any suggestions what to soak them in to get rid of the rust. I'm sure i'm still gonna have to use a scotchbrite pad or something.  I was thinking this "Metal Rescue Rust Removal" since I saw it on the OPGI site but I can get it local

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/paint-remover-stripper-thinner/metal-rescue-concentrated-rust-remover-soak-14oz/836586_0_0

Pinion.jpg

White vinegar would work well to remove the rust. It may take a little longer than the metal rescue. Electrolysis would also be a good option. I'd bead blast them if you have a small blasting cabinet(good reason to get one!)

• Like 1

Thanks Carl, I picked up a gallon at the parts store ( wanted to get a new pinion bearing) and they had a gallon for $5 cheaper than HF. Thanks for the vinegar idea Steve, and no i'm NOT buying a bead blaster lol. 

Just thought I'd post an update, ring wasn't that bad, let it sit for about 6 hours. Let the Pinion sit overnight (about 18 hours) and you can see the difference. Still going to go over it with a scotch bright pad  but the Evapo-Rust did a pretty good job by itself. 

R&P.jpg

Mark.   Glad you picked Evapo-Rust. It really works. Try it on nuts and bolts. Put them in a plastic jar and shake them up every time you walk by. 
leave them for a couple of days. Wire brush them and HF sells a sealer. Can’t remember the name but I will see the time I’m in there. I’ll post the name.

Thanks Carl, I scotch padded the pinion yesterday, looked even better with minimum amount of elbow grease lol. I noticed some rust still on the ring so that sat in the bucket last night, haven't checked out the results yet.