Tie rods

Hi people, probably a stupid question but is there a trick to getting my inner tie rod off. I got the outer off with no problems but the inner is not coming out. Loosened the castle nut and tried whacking it with a hammer but it's not popping out. Do I need a pickle fork or something? Thanks in advance.

Try 2 hammers. Set one on the back side as a back up. Then whack the front side with the other hammer.

They also have tie rod pullers that press on the stud end, but I've had limited success with them. If the hammer doesn't loosen it in the first place, these won't usually work by themselves. I've used them to preload the stud, then whack it with the hammer & then it usually pops off. These are part of an OTC kit.

Also, were you whacking it on the stud end, downward trying to push it out of the hole? If so, try whacking it on the side like Larry above mentioned instead. That'll usually loosen it from the tapered hole. That's what I meant with the 2 hammer thing too, one in back & one in front hitting it from the side of the ball stud.

20200712_204832.jpg