I've been cheated by my mechanic...

Midshipman

Quote:
* * * * UPDATE * * * *
Well, My father has borrowed one of my relatives Trucks and enclosed trailers to go pick up my baby. I couldn't get away from a few obligations and my dad is just an awesome guy who volunteered to do this for me.

He's 200 miles north of where my car is now, and the transmission on our borrowed truck blew out. So there goes my money for the paintjob. I'm going to need to pay for the repairs to my uncle's truck. Now my dad is stranded down there until we get it fixed, good thing he's retired! :P

On the bright side, the guy who was supposed to be working on my car called last night. He was very apologetic and sorry for the way he had reacted and seemed sincere. I'm still getting my car out of there, though.

Stay tuned for further updates.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you get the car up this way we can get the body work done for you and paint it. paintjobs right around 300 for paint and supplys depending on the color.. using omni color(ppg's cheap brand)

and we have another garage we can use as a paint booth not real far from alex's

if you get the car up this way we can get the body work done for you and paint it. paintjobs right around 300 for paint and supplys depending on the color.. using omni color(ppg's cheap brand)

and we have another garage we can use as a paint booth not real far from alex's

VooDoo427, please check your e-mail and call me... 765-743-7962

Billie, sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Maybe you should post the name of the town wher your car is so that everyone else in the club can stay far, far away from it .... seems to be hexed!!! devil

Howly cow billie,

I was shocked to hear of the bad luck with the truck. and real shocked you / or your dad will have it here tommorow evening. well cool we got permission to use the shop for most of the work. final details i will work out so no problems at all.

alex

hey mid.

I won't be able to meet you guys tonight as you drop off the monte...however, you are going right by were i live if you take I-74. We will be able to do just about anything you want done to the car. I have an HVLP system that Alex is using successfully to paint his gas tank. We have the space and tools to paint/repair including a twin post car lift. We have helped other members in the past and look forward to helping you.

Charlie72

ok news report for ya billie...

the car is down at the shop right now and we got her in the air to look at her.

there is holes on the pass, and drivers side floor pans along the seam from the factory as well as the trunk area in small spots.

brake lines, trans lines and fuel lines "maybe on the fuel lines cause i have a set of used ones at my house which are in much better condition along with some of the brake lines or you can order the stainless steel or original ones from classic tubing.

brake rotors are shot and pads will need replaced bushings for the body need replaced. along with suspension bushings.

I will yank the vinyl top off tommorow and get some idea as far as metal work needed under the top before the new top goes on. also you probably want to order some por 15 rust preventative paint to be put on the metal when the top is off and the paint removed "this will keep it from rusting out again from the moisture the top will hold. also you have a 10 bolt B.O.P. rearend the first one i have actually seen on a monte and the rear axle code dose not appear to be on it but i will investigate further. Also your car was indeed repainted from what charles "voodoo427" pointed out the paint runs inside the upper channel where the deck lid meets the weather stripping.

your dash lights do not light up and your head lights are intermintent the speedo does not work neither does the odometer "it is stuck at 6064.4 miles which judging but the wear on the under side is probably 106064.4 miles I will break out my decode stuff and see about drive line components as well "if they are original" and such. the radio does not work and the "mech" forgot to replace the airfilter along with the mesh filter on the side of the aircleaner.

There was a significant amout of air pressure in the radiator hose lines to make me beleive that the engine needs more coolant added along with a good look over.

your radiator hold down cover is the wrong one it should have the four bolt hole one not the three hole one unless i missed something.

Your seat belts are something to be reckened with as well. but i will have to look and see it they are the correct ones. "they just did not feel like they were right."

more to follow later i need some sleep

alex

Hi Alex!

Well that's a ton of bad news in one sitting, but I think I'm still standing. I knew something was wrong with the brake's when I puleld her out of that trailer....

Yikes... eek

Well, here's another chapter to my Odyssey:

So last night as I'm cruising along on I-74 from Champaign back towards West Lafayette... my Toronado started to suddenly make this weird clanking noise... it was tied to my speed and I thought something was wrapped around my rear wheel... but I couldn't find it.

So I pulled off to try and find a gas station near Attica, IN and about a mile off the main highway the clanking stopped and i heard "SWOOSH! Fwapa-apa-apa-apa-apa-apa" And I then knew I wasn't driving anywhere...

So, I pulled into the parking lot of the Jehovah's Witnesses' Kingdom Hall... and began to change my tire! Well, that didn't work out, because the chuck for my locking hubcaps was MIA. Fudge! So aa quick call to Triple A, and three hours later I had a tow truck who told me he could tow me anywhere I wanted, for $2 a mile. I was 45 miles from home. Damnit.

Well, I greased the wheels a little, and with a rather big tip, he agreed to drop the car off in my parking spot infront of my apartment on campus. So now, I get to spend the day trying to figure out how to change this tire! WooHoo! I finally got the tire off, and now I'm calling my friends with cars to see who wants to give me a ride to walmart for a tire plug kit...

Isn't Life great!!

I'm still optimistic that all this trouble will lead to me having one FINE [censored] car. Thank you again to Charles, Charlie, and Alex for all the help they are about to give me... these guys are awesome. I wasn't sure who I was going to meet out there, but they were all a friendly bunch and I'm going to really enjoy being a member here. wink

Alex, I think I'm gonna give you a call when I call in all my loans and figure out how much liquid assets I have on hand to fix the problems you discovered. And I have to say, I was not expecting you to jump in on it last night! You are one of my new best friends!

A quite contented Odyssian,

Billie

P.S. Here are some pics of the car as we took her off the trailer over in Champaign:

monte1.jpg

monte2.jpg

monte3.jpg

monte4.jpg

monte5.jpg

monte6.jpg

Because of the 10 bolt rear in the car, it was probably a 350 2-bbl car to start with. In the pictures it has no A/C so it would have had the smallest radiator available from the factory and would have probably had the 3 bolt radiator cover from the factory. HD cooling etc would get bigger radiator and radiator cover. Just a thought.

it has a/c on it.... the compressor is on the drivers side.... the primer and activator is 60.94$ and for all the stuff needed for paint including the primer is 242.91$ plus tax... the body bushing kit is available with hardware for 80$ from muscle cars only...your car is painted fathom blue so we can repaint it that color if you want.

Well that's not bad at all for paint and materials! I do like that blue... But how expensive would the blue they use on todays Dodges be? I really like something like that... A really blazing eye-popping blue...

What do you people think? (Anyone... The astro-blue, a real bright dodge-like blue... Maybe just black??)

And with all the problems Alex listed earlier... What do we expect this is going to take? I'm only trying to plan it out...

Keep me posted, and thanks again guys!

add on ac , the car was originally a non ac car from the picture of the firewall

Leo

Correct-a-mundo

Also, Alex, if you read this:

I have talked to Leo and here is his response to the parts you said to ask about:

Quote:

Yes no problem , a drivers remote complete is 40.00 , I also have cables

and parts to repair yours, the fender extension is 20.00

Leo

So let me know if we're gonna need that fender extension and I'll work out the details with Leo.

we wont need the fender extension the hole isnt as big as it looks from the outside. also that core support piece does not match the car its dated 5-23-69. i took the stickers off it(didnt match anyways) and started to get it sandblasted... we are gonna sandblast the hoodlatch and lil fender brackets down and give them a dose of the left over por15 while we are at it. you do however need a new battery tray( paddock has these for 15.95 repro. you can drive owner and pick it up instead of having them ship it they are in knightstown indiana) the top is off the chrome trim is off except for the rear wheel wells a couple of the screws we will have to drill out the heads on.. the front end will be tore down in the next couple days the pinhole on the passenger side fender can be fixed with a quick tackweld and the grinder.. were still working on getting the passenger side door open...

so far the body panels all look fixable the passenger side inner fender is cracked on almost all the bolt holes.(still in one piece tho)...are you wanting the motor fully painted. and do you want the firewall painted?????? if so i think we can accomodate this were gonna try and get my car into a rolling chassis and take it out to alexs so what we cant do in the shop we can do at my house or maybe even my buddy chads.

VooDoo... AS far as painting the engine goes, that'd be nice. But right now that is at the bottom of my list.

I'll look into a battery tray and call Leo about the mirror tonight. I told Alex what my budget is at the moment, so as long as we can keep it around that I want to do AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

As far as parts not being 100% correct on the car, I can fix those later I believe. I'm not too worried about her being that purist stock. If we have correct parts lying around or can find them cheap enough let's replace them. But right now I'm thinking we direct most our energies to the driving/paint/bodywork problems.

Painting the engine and firewall would be nice though... we could go forever fixing things, and I would sure like to do them all... but Alex knows my budget. If he says we can do all that and still keep me out of debt, then I'm all for it.

Also, I tried to ship the POR-15 to Alex at the address he gave me, but I must have mis-heard him on the phone. I looked him up in the phonebook and had it shipped to All the address info he gave me... but I used the street address of 41294 E 100 North Rd I had written down 41444... so please verify this is correct. If it isn't I'll call and try to redirect the order.

**EDIT: P.S. I think I'll pay the $9 shipping fee and have it sent out. Because it's an hour and a half drive from here to Paddock and then another hour and a half out to you guys, and another hour and a half home. So that's 4.5 hours drive for me, and I can gaurantee I'll burn more than that $9 in gas.

Please let me know if we need anything else from them and I'll have it all sent out on Monday.

i believe thats his address. hes at work till about 6 or so i i think so i will let him know... as far as the engine painting it wont cost much i have the paint sitting around here.. just involves draining the radiator which we can do and reuse the coolant so thats no biggy. painting the firewall shouldnt add anything onto it just means the motor will have to come out and go back in which isnt a biggy.i've got paint left over to clean the firewall up shouldnt take more then a couple hours of cleaning. so i will talk to alex about it tonight.

i believe thats his address. hes at work till about 6 or so i i think so i will let him know... as far as the engine painting it wont cost much i have the paint sitting around here.. just involves draining the radiator which we can do and reuse the coolant so thats no biggy. painting the firewall shouldnt add anything onto it just means the motor will have to come out and go back in which isnt a biggy.i've got paint left over to clean the firewall up shouldnt take more then a couple hours of cleaning. so i will talk to alex about it tonight.

I'm a bit overwhelmed here... you guys are doing so much for me, and so quickly... and asking for nothing in return...

This is like a dream! If you guys are willing, please do paint the engine and firewall. I'm putting you all on my christmas card list.

An "eye popping" blue sounds cool, however I think the car looks great the original blue. Just my 2-cents....

Billie, you have a car with a lot of great potential. Can't wait to see the end result!! Good luck! Sounds like you have made some life-long friends!

Cheers

Hey billie,

The address is as follows

alex weise

41444 east 100 north road

bellflower il 61724

the one you found in the phone book is down the road from me I thought it was my dads but its on the bellflower side so its not. also my number is not listed in the book.

also the paint for the block if we needed any is cheap 2 bucks a can "aerosol" and it will only take us 30 minutes to pull the engine and trans.

classic tube cost for stainless steel for whole set:

brake lines part# MC1003 $175.00

fuel lines part# mcr1001 $110.00

vapor lines part# mcv1001 $100.00

trans lines part# mct1007 $80.00

= $465

they also have flex lines as well for the caliper to frame area but i think yours are still good.

www.classictube.com

1-800-882-3711

also charle aka "charlie72" donated a hood cage so all we have to do is drill spot welds out of you hood and the other then swap metal. will post more up need to go to bed

alex

Well I have ordered the lines.

They should be arriving at your house sometime in the near future, Alex. I still need to make contact with Leo, and I've contacted POR-15 and redirected the order.

If it's just a few can's of cheap Aerosol and you guys don't mind, I guess we'll paint the engine. :Plol

just so you know for the future. A automotive shop in danville just up the road from where i live sells POR15 products. So if this is needed in the future. we could save the 9.00 shipping cost etc.

Also as Alex stated I have donated the hood cage from a hood that was warped by a media blasters ignorance. I was planning on using the metal from the hood for other projects and had no use for the cage.

Alex, i'm moving my office today will check email/board occasionaly if you call my office phone or cell leave a message. i'm still planning on going down tonight...maybe we can get the pass side door open.