I've been cheated by my mechanic...

Midshipman

ok charlie i will be down there tonight. oh did you bring the gas tank we talked about??

also billie,

how much did you spend on the por 15 total so i can keep track so we dont go over. also did you order all the lines or just the brake and fuel lines. I ask just because you really only need the brake, fuel, and trans lines not the vapor ones unless you want to "there is no problem with it just curious" also what did the total with shipping cost?

I will be going up to leos this friday to get my quarter panel do you want me to pick up the other stuff while i am up there this weekend? I am going up friday and coming back saturday. just fyi

alex

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here is my cost so far:

• $51.23 for POR-15
  • $27.14 for Battery Tray
  • $483.00 for all the lines and shipping
  • ~$40.00 for the Driver's mirror

I bought the vapor lines too. So my total cost so far is just over $600

Also, a few things:

I noticed I do not have a Passenger side rearview... how difficult would it be to put one in? (doesn't have to be remote) and do you guys have one or should I talk to Leo about that?

Also, I'm not sure exactly which blue we decided on... But I want the Fathom Blue, I finally made up my mind.

it wouldnt be hard to install a mirror on that side but i think you will have to get it from leo... for the fathom blue it would be 242.91 plus tax

paint - $61.34

primer - 44.34

clear - 46.69

reducer - 16.04

hardner (2 needed) 57.90 for both

Activator - 2 needed 16.60

it wouldnt be hard to install a mirror on that side but i think you will have to get it from leo... for the fathom blue it would be 242.91 plus tax

paint - $61.34

primer - 44.34

clear - 46.69

reducer - 16.04

hardner (2 needed) 57.90 for both

Activator - 2 needed 16.60

Ok, do you want me to try and order that? And if so, from where? Or are you guys gonna pick it up and I'll write you a check?

will have to be picked up here in town... i dunno though you might be able to call them and pay for it and have it ready to be picked up though thier number is 217-328-3431 paint code number is 2166 and you want it in the omni basecoat clear coat plus the primer for bare metal which is 44.34... the brake rotors are 44.99 each at partsamerica.com

will have to be picked up here in town... i dunno though you might be able to call them and pay for it and have it ready to be picked up though thier number is 217-328-3431 paint code number is 2166 and you want it in the omni basecoat clear coat plus the primer for bare metal which is 44.34... the brake rotors are 44.99 each at partsamerica.com

Ok, the paint is paid for and awaiting someone to pick it up. It's under my name. Total for everything was $261.13 and I bought the medium hardener becuase that's what the guy recommended for these temperatures.

I presume we need two Brake rotors? We better, because I ordered them and their being shipped out tonight to Alex's house.

Brake Rotors cost a total of $115.21 with Shipping.

ok billie i have a total spent so far is

$977.71 its amazing how fast cash goes through the fingers isnt it....

you will also need wheel bearings both inner and outer for both rotors. "we have the grease covered for the install of them"

oh have you ordered the body bushings and suspension bushings? if not DONT order them yet i will check the bushings to see if they will last till you have some cash for their replacement. I will let you know tonight when i get home from the shop.

alex

Can we get the wheel bearings at NAPA or PEPBOYS... Or should I order those someplace too?

And how much will body bushings be... It'll be easier to do it now I know. And my 21st is in 2 weeks... Maybe I can hit up gramma for a cash present this year... lol

the bushings should be around 80 bucks but i will look it up when i get home

the wheel bearings we can get from advance auto or autozone "napa is a bit over priced on some stuff.

alex

body bushings are 80$ from www.musclecarsonly.com

For $80 lets just do it and get it over with. That's only a weeks pay for me :rolleyes:

Can we get those at AutoZone? If not I'll order them online, but figured we might save on shipping if at all possible...

not that i know off. the body mount is but not the bushing the kit from mco. includes the radiator support bushings and bolts also.

ok update on your car billie,

the spot welds are drilled out around the hood on the car short of the cowl part of the hood. so the skull replacement is under way. oh charles "aka charlie72" had a thought. do you want the fenders decklid and doors ready striped? he is going to find out what the guy will charge. would you be able to afford that even though it will be a bit outside the budget? just thought i would throw that out to see if it would be viable since it would drastically reduce the time of sanding and preping practically half of the car. the turn around time would be 5-7 days and there out of danville right by charlie72.

let me know if your interested.

alex

Wow, that would be fast turnaround Alex... Let me know how pricey getting em dipped would be.

Also, with the problems we have tackled thus far:

What is our ETA without the dipping? And what would it be with the dip?

I doubt I have the cash on hand to do this... especially since the meager funds I'm trying to scrap up ontop of my $1000 budget could probably be better used towards fixing my Speedometer, Tach, and dash lights. Because I have a feeling I may need a new speedo, or it might be a rather exhaustive search for that electrical problem that is the root of our Dash-Light Evil... And is there any word from Charles buddy on fixing that headrest and the fabric under the rear window?

** EDIT: The Bushings have been ordered **

i will be supplying the body filler also.. after spending a hour with the guys at dust n son they got me turned onto a filler called evercoat its alot easier to sand then bondo so i will supply that.will also supply the engine paint.....(caught me in a good mood lmao)......if ya need anything that i have laying around for the car we will put it in. most everything im not using is just sitting around here collecting dust anyways.

it would prally add close to a 100 dollars if not more...its well worth it tho. when were done with your car im gonna be sending mine to be dipped..... it would save money in the long run tho with having to buy sanding paper cuz those parts wont needed sanded as much.

it would prally add close to a 100 dollars if not more...its well worth it tho. when were done with your car im gonna be sending mine to be dipped..... it would save money in the long run tho with having to buy sanding paper cuz those parts wont needed sanded as much.

Well a hundred dollars for two fenders and the hood? I suppose that isn't too bad... Let me see if I can rustle that up (give me a day or two). If you guys think thats the better route, let's do it. I am pretty definate that I can cover it.

Quote:
i have a speedo we could use(gonna be replacing mine with a new one anyways. we will track the electrical problems down....
That is just awesome! One quick question though, what's wrong with it that you're replacing it? wink

well youve seen my dash cluster and black dont match the white laugh

OH! Gotcha!

Ok, um... i just recieved a rather odd e-mail...

This is from Jim @ MuscleCarsonly.com whom I ordered the bushings kit from yesterday...

Apparently he thinks I won an auction on eBay from him? The auction can be viewed by clicking here. These are a set of seatbelts for a 68 - 72 chevelle SS (same as a Monte I know) But I did not bid on these... I'm presuming one of you guys did?

***EDIT: Ok, I got it squared away... Just a miscommunication. He just bought those seatbelts on eBay, and somehow accidentally sent the payment request he received to me. Lol. So that's why I was all confused.***

By the way, my seatbelts are fine... Correct? Although perhaps not 100% correct... They look fine and are functional.

the dipping is going to be 250 from the place in evansville "which charlie says that place is better" he is going to call danville and find out what there cost is. It will be 300 total if we do the hood as well. lead time is 10-16 days for them getting them back to us. and with us doing that it will let us work on the shell more and get it ready by the time the other stuff gets back. "which means the rear deck lid filler panel being replaced and the sail area on the pass side quarter getting replaced with new/recycled monte metal from a 72 i have. now we just have to remove the fender to get the pass. door open and then strip every thing off of them.

thanks 72MCZ03 we try to help each other out. lets see how it turns out when were done "will it beat kevins duct tape for trim and still win an award ..... hmmmm we will see lol"

Yikes... $250 is really a big bite.

How important is it that we dip the hood and fenders? I don't want you guys spendin the rest of your lives sanding... but $250 just might break the bank at this point.

I've run out of cash and I still have to buy the bearings for the wheels, and groceries for next week. If it is imperitive that we dip, or if it will really make that big a difference in the final appearance of the car... frown well, what do you guys say?

Also, Alex: I spoke to Leo last night and sent him a check for the driver's side mirror. Apparently no Monte's had passenger side mirrors (except for one specialty model in 72 I believe) and so we'll just stick with one.

The POR-15 was shipped to your father's address. I called the company before it shipped and they promised me that it was going to 41444 but when I tracked it with UPS this morning it says it's destination is your Father's house. I'm screaming at POR 15 over the phone as we speak, and UPS says we cannot change the delivery address mid-shipment. we have to wait until the driver has made an attempt to deliver. However, since there is no signature required he's just going to leave it at the door, and then we'll never get a chance of redirecting it.

So keep an eye out in the next few days for an ignorant UPS guy, if UPS and POR15 keep giving me trouble we may be screwed. Argh, I hate this crap.

Thank you for the pictures, I'll be posting them up on here tonight for the world to see. Stay tuned for more details. :P